Are you ready for the challenge?
Complete the form to learn more about earning a degree in chemistry or biochemistry.
The ACU Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry integrates a Christian worldview with strong academic instruction and experience, educating students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world.
B.S. / B.A. in Biochemistry Degree Details
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
Biochemistry, BA (BCHA)
ACS, BS (BCH-BCHC)
Biomedical Science, BS (BCH-BCBS)
Pre-Vet, BS (BCH-BCHV)
Standard Track, BS (BCH-BCHE)
University Requirements: 56 credit hours + Major Requirements: 29-33 credit hours (Choice of 4 tracks) + Electives: 6-10 credit hours = Total Required: 128 credit hours*
*Based on track selection
Biochemistry I, II, and III
Chemistry and Biochemistry
Early Bird: Nov. 1
Regular: Feb. 1
National Candidates: May 1
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
With the B.S. program, you’ll be ready for a career as a biochemist or to enter graduate study or professional school. With four tracks to choose from, you can shape your own future:
- American Chemical Society (ACS) – This track, approved by the American Chemical Society, includes in-depth biochemistry courses and additional courses in inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry and calculus.
- Biomedical Sciences – This track includes more flexibility in upper-level biology and chemistry courses for those preparing to enter professional schools of medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, pharmacy or optometry, or those who want enter graduate school in biochemistry or molecular biology, or who wish to enter the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- Pre-Veterinary track – This track will prepare you for acceptance into veterinary school.
In addition, the health professions fast-track cooperative degree offers students the chance to enter professional school after only three years at ACU.
Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry
The B.A. program prepares you for entry into professional schools of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy or optometry, or into careers in biotechnology, as a physician assistant, or pharmaceuticals.
Chemistry and biochemistry students have extensive opportunities to participate in research, internships and student activities, including:
- Research, on campus or off
- Summer internships
- ACU Chemistry Club
- Field trips to labs, power plants and conferences
You’ll be prepared for a wide array of career opportunities in an academic or industrial setting, including:
- Forensic scientist
- Clinical research associate
- Laboratory technician
- Analytical chemist
- Biomedical chemist
- Pharmaceutical consultant