Are you ready for the challenge?
ACU’s graduate program in marriage and family therapy combines theory and clinical training, including a 500-hour internship, typically at ACU’s on-site Marriage and Family Institute. Learn about other internship opportunities in Abilene.
Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of families in your community? Talk to us today or apply now.
Note: This degree is also available online.
The Marriage and Family Therapy Program is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education.
Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
These are the important details you will need to keep in mind as you prepare your application and degree plan.
Thesis Track, MMFT (MFTT)
Marriage and Family Therapy, MMFT (MFTH)
Credit hours: 60
2021/2022 tuition per credit hour: $1264
Program length: 2 years
Family Theory/General Systems Theory
Family Therapy across the Life Cycle
Theological Perspectives on Human Behavior
Marriage and Family Studies
Priority Deadline: March 20
Standard Deadline: May 1
Examples of Where Graduates Work
- Private practice
- Family service agencies
- Mental health agencies
- Youth ranches
- Complete an online application;
- Pay the $65 application fee;
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended. The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent. If you attended a college or university located outside of the United States, a transcript evaluation by World Education Services is required;
- A cumulative undergraduate approximate B average or above in the area of focus or related area and evidence of an overall productive GPA;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- A written purpose statement declaring why the applicant wishes to study marriage and family therapy at ACU and what he or she plans to do professionally upon graduation;
- Complete the psychosocial history form;
- An on-campus interview with the faculty. The personal interview for applicants residing outside the continental United States can be done via telephone, Skype or Google Chat.
- If admitted, students may be subject to a background check and must maintain a quality of life that reflects high moral standards.
Our GRE test score admission requirement is currently waived.
Departmental scholarships are available. Departmental scholarships are based on merit, are first-come, first-serve, and generally range from 10-50% of tuition. Most students with at least a 3.0 GPA will receive a scholarship. Because of the need for Spanish-speaking therapists in Abilene, additional scholarships are available for students able to conduct therapy in Spanish. Scholarships are awarded after students are admitted to the program.