Travel can increase the opportunity for the transmission of COVID-19, so ACU continues to restrict university-related travel until further notice. However, understanding the role travel plays in carrying out mission-critical functions of the university, certain ACU-related travel may be approved as long as travelers observe the following guidance.
The Study Abroad programs to ACU’s sites in Leipzig, Germany; Montevideo, Uruguay; and Oxford, England, have been canceled for Summer 2021. Students may choose to request a refund of their application fee or apply it to a future program. If it is safe to do so, we plan to offer Study Abroad opportunities during Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 in all three of our hub locations
Domestic Travel (including in-state travel)
Only travel essential to the mission will be permitted at the discretion of the applicable vice president or dean. Mission-essential approval should be obtained from the appropriate vice president or dean prior to departure for either vehicle travel or domestic air travel. All travel must be routed through Concur for Risk Management’s review and risk mitigation. For approved travel, employees should determine whether self-quarantine and/or COVID-19 testing will be required for the destination and should make appropriate contingency plans.
When organizing university-related vehicle travel, please comply with the University Driver Policy and consider the following important information before driving with passengers for university activity:
- All occupants should use face coverings inside a vehicle unless driving alone.
- Face coverings or any PPE used in the vehicle must not interfere with the ability of the driver to operate the vehicle safely.
- Improve ventilation in the vehicle by opening windows or setting the ventilation on non-recirculation mode.
- Vehicles must be cleaned and disinfected on a regular basis. At a minimum, disinfect commonly touched surfaces, such as door handles, in the vehicle at the beginning and end of each trip.
- Use larger vehicles to maximize distance between the driver and each occupant.
- Consider making more trips with fewer passengers on each trip to increase distance between vehicle occupants.
- The maximum number of occupants allowed in a vehicle will depend on the duration of the trip (excluding travel related to athletics team travel due to other virus prevention measures already implemented):
- Trips of less than 15 minutes have no additional restrictions on the number of individuals in a vehicle.
- Trips of more than 15 minutes require at least one empty seat between occupants.
- Sedans and small- to mid-size SUVs with a normal seating capacity of 5 occupants – Up to 3 occupants (e.g., 1 driver + 2 passengers)
- Dual/crew cab pickup – Up to 4 occupants
- Minivan or 3-row SUVs – Up to 6 occupants
- 12-passenger van: Up to 8 occupants
- 15-passenger van – Up to 10 occupants
- Travel organizers should minimize the number of occupants in vehicles.
- Students who drive their personal vehicles are responsible for their expenses (no mileage reimbursement) and liability.
Only travel essential to the mission will be permitted at the discretion of the Provost or Emergency Response Team (ERT). All travel must be routed through Concur for Risk Management’s review and risk mitigation. For approved travel, employees should determine whether self-quarantine and/or COVID-19 testing will be required for the destination or upon return to the United States, and they should make appropriate contingency plans.
CDC provides travel notices and makes recommendations on postponing or canceling travel. These are based on an assessment of the potential health risks involved with traveling to a certain area. A list of destinations with travel notices is available on the CDC website travel page.
You may find the following resources helpful:
- Contact the Office of Institutional Compliance and Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or 325-674-6142 with general questions;
- Contact the Travel Office at 325-674-2774 or email@example.com for Concur-related questions;
- When canceling a trip, if travel arrangements were made via Concur, you can contact Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) directly by calling 877-727-5188 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Contact the travel vendor directly to cancel trips booked outside of Concur.