Prospective Student Auditions and Interviews
The ACU Theatre program offers a BFA in seven different tracks: Acting, Dance, Design/Tech, Directing, Musical Theatre, Theatre Education, and Theatre Ministry. You may audition for up to two tracks at the same time.
Admission to the ACU Theatre Department is by audition (performers, directors, education and ministry tracks) or interview (designers/technical theatre).
Open auditions (no screening video required) for a place in the August incoming class for both new students and currently enrolled ACU students considering a theatre major will be held November. Admission to the University is required before your audition. Please register for an audition.
To be considered for an invitation to a callback on-campus in January or February for a place in the incoming class, please submit a short audition video of your work. Instructions for composing your audition video will be emailed to you after you have completed the audition registration information.
You will hear back from us by the first week in January to know if you have been selected for an on-campus callback audition and interview.
- Nov. 22nd, 2019 (open audition- no video screening required & White Rose in Production)
- Jan. 24th, 2020 (callback audition)
- Feb. 21st, 2020 (callback audition & Pack of Lies in Production)
- All students must audition/interview to be accepted as Theatre majors.
- Up to twelve freshmen will be admitted to the program each fall.
- If you are not accepted, you may still enroll in ACU and take some specific theatre classes; you may audition again in November of your freshman year.
To be accepted into the Theatre major program at ACU, you must:
- Complete the audition/interview registration application
- Gain clear admission to ACU
- Maintain a full course load (12 hrs per semester or more)
- Complete an audition/interview and be selected as a Theatre major
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
The audition/interview registration application requires the following:
- High school GPA and class rank
- One-page resume of theatre experience
- Two short-answer paragraphs (questions on registration page)
- Two reference letters
For open auditions in November, students desiring Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, Theatre Education or Directing should prepare one 60-second monologue. A scene will be provided in advance and will be coached at the audition. Singers (required for Musical Theatre, optional for other tracks) should prepare a verse and chorus of a Broadway-style song along with the 60-second monologue. An accompanist will be provided, but please also bring recorded accompaniment to the audition. Bring your sheet music mounted on card stock or in a three-ring binder. A dance audition (musical theatre/jazz combo) will be required for Musical Theatre students and is optional for the Acting track. Bring appropriate dance clothes and shoes.
Designers, Directors and Theatre Education and Theatre Ministry tracks should prepare a portfolio including drawings, photos, press articles, etc. demonstrating your work or showing your dreams. Be prepared to discuss your experience and goals during your interview.
Details on composing an audition Screening Video in consideration of a callback on-campus in January or February will be emailed to you when your audition registration is received. We look forward to hearing from you!