ACU’s mission is to educate students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world.
This mission is achieved through:
- Exemplary teaching, offered by a faculty of Christian scholars, that inspires a commitment to learning;
- Significant research, grounded in the university’s disciplines of study, that informs issues of importance to the academy, church, and society;
- Meaningful service to society, academic disciplines, the university, and the church, expressed in various ways, by all segments of the ACU community.
ACU is a vibrant, innovative, Christ-centered community that engages students in authentic spiritual and intellectual growth, equipping them to make a real difference in the world.
For Such a Time As This
The university’s Board of Trustees prepared this document in October 2012 to articulate what it means for ACU to be a Christ-centered institution of higher education within the Christian heritage of the Stone-Campbell faith tradition, particularly as expressed in Churches of Christ. We strongly affirm the finest values of that heritage and pursue a Christ-centered focus using the inspired Word of God to guide our decisions as an institution.
Rooted in these values, ACU will pursue sound and innovative educational principles so our students will be fully prepared to live lives of Christian service and leadership. This document provides guidance in meeting the challenges and opportunities of the future.
There is a growing need for a Christian university focused on challenging academics and leadership preparation for talented students who desire to become “salt and light” in the world. ACU’s 21st-Century Vision, published in 2010, calls for the university by 2020 to become the premier university for the education of Christ-centered, global leaders. Its objectives:
- Produce leaders who think critically, globally and missionally.
- Build distinctive and innovative programs
- Deliver a unique, Christ-centered experience that draws students into community.
- Expand its Christian influence and educational reach nationally and internationally.
Our Enduring Core Values
A special statement from the university’s Board of Trustees in 2007 serves as a reminder of the many foundational aspects influencing all we do. These core values describe who we are – and will remain – as a university. At ACU, we will:
- Anchor to our faith.
- Engage in learning.
- Challenge to excel.
- Equip to serve and lead.
- Connect for life.
- Commit to stewardship.