Main Content

20 Under 40: Taylor Sturgis

Taylor Sturgis
Taylor Sturgis

Age: 32

Business: Key Appraisal Group

Job title: Owner, certified real estate appraiser

Why are you working in this industry?

I was approached by a customer, in my previous profession in Fort Worth, about becoming a trainee with his appraisal firm. After working with his firm for two years, we moved to Abilene and, shortly after, we started the business.

What are three daily habits that have helped you to become successful?

1. Getting into the office before 8 a.m. allows me to plan my day without any distractions.
2. I listen to Sports Radio 1310 AM and 96.7 AM, The Ticket, every morning.
3. Making sure the coffee pot is set up the night before is crucial.

Who is the person who most influenced you in business?

My family has been the driving force as to why I am in my current profession. My goal always has been to provide a lifestyle that allows my wife and children to be successful in whatever they put their minds towards.

What changes have you seen in Abilene during your career? What changes would you like to see?

Abilene has grown into a community that fully supports young adults and their wants, desires and initiatives. I expect Abilene residents to continue their support for this emerging age group, and to promote the positive experiences that these people have had in our city.

What was your first summer job?

My first job was at the Chick-fil-A in Willow Bend Mall in Plano when I was 14.

Where will we find you enjoying your hard-earned time off?

My family and I enjoy attending Abilene Christian University sporting events and cheering the Wildcats to victory.

Describe yourself in word.

Loyal.

Community, civic, professional, business, religious, social and other organizations of which you have been a member/and or leader:

Abilene Preservation League, executive team/board member; Abilene Chamber of Commerce Downtown Task Force and Downtown Advisory Board, co-chairman of both; Abilene Young Professionals, steering committee; Future Fund, board member; Open Road Concert Series, co-creator; Abilene Heritage Square, board member; Leadership Abilene 2018; Association of Texas Appraisers; Abilene Board of Realtors; member of First Baptist Church.

Your family:

Wife, Logan; son, Jeffrey, 4; daughter, Violet, 2.

20 Under 40 is an awards program from the Abilene Chamber of Commerce, conducted with the Abilene Reporter-News, to recognize local business leaders under the age of 40 who make a positive impact on the community. We are proud of our alumni who have been recognized for 2019.
Read about the other ACU alumni honorees

SHARE: [Sassy_Social_Share type="standard"]