High school theatre director credits ACU with helping her land 'dream job'

Enlarge

Laura Harris is theatre director at Keller High School in Keller, Texas.

Laura Harris (’17) is living her dream as a theatre director at Keller High School in Keller, Texas. Her experience as a student at ACU was an integral part of her journey here.

A graduate of ACU’s Teacher Education program, Harris’ degree plan combined theatre and education courses. She believes the classroom observation, teaching experience, feedback and faculty support served as the perfect preparation for entering the high school classroom and theatre.

“My training at ACU, both in theatre and Teacher Education, helped me to grow beyond what I ever imagined for myself,” Harris says. “The incredibly supportive faculty and staff of the theatre department pushed me to expand my thinking regarding the interaction between faith and art. The professionalism, high artistic and academic standards of the theatre department challenged me, while giving me the space I desired to experiment and create.”

As part of her experience at ACU, Harris was able to direct a full production in the theatre department with the support and encouragement of faculty in both programs.

“Though it was a lot to take on, they all believed I could and should do it, so I did,” Harris says.

With this kind of real-world experience under her belt, moving to Georgia after graduation to work as the director of education at The Legacy Theatre near Atlanta was a natural next step for Harris. There, she taught acting and musical theatre to 300 students during after-school hours, managed the teaching staff and curriculum, and helped restructure the theatre’s education programs. Then Harris returned to Texas to accept the theatre director position in Keller High School’s award-winning theatre department. She often looks back at ACU’s theatre department and Teacher Education program that provided the foundation for her dream career.

“I will always remember my time at ACU as the moment I became both teacher and artist,” she says. The theatre and education departments worked together and communicated well to insure that I was developing and refining the skills that I needed to become a well-prepared theatre educator. They continue to open doors for me and answer my calls, even after I have graduated. I am beyond grateful.”