Syncing Your Google Calendar
Getting your Google Calendar on your device is certainly something you can do. Setting this up can be easy or complex, depending on what you would like to be able to do. Here are your options, listed from the least complex to the most complex:
- Mobile Interface - View your Google calendar via Google mobile interface. The device will not interface with the calendar app.
- Over the Air Sync - Use Google Calendar Sync to push and pull calendar and contact data directly from your phone.
- One Way Sync: Computer to Phone - Sync your Google calendar with the device’s calendar app, but no changes can be made from the device or computer.
- Two Way Sync: Computer to Phone - Fully Sync your Google calendar. You can add events from the device, or online. Everything will sync together when you sync your device.
You can always access your Google Calendar online via m.acu.edu. Once you log in under the myMobile tab, you can view your calendar using Google’s mobile calendar inferface. Simply select "Calendar" after getting into the site.
On your Mac, you can "Subscribe" to your Google calendar in iCal. This will allow iCal to view, but not edit, your Google calendar. You can then sync iCal to your device via iTunes. Just follow these steps:
- Log into myACU and open up your Google Calendar.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar you want to sync and select "Calendar Settings."
- Next to "Private Address" click on the "iCal" button.
- Copy the address that is given.
- Open iCal and select "Subscribe" from the "Calendar" menu at the top.
- Paste the address given by Google Calendar in the box that appears and click "Subscribe."
- After connecting your device to the computer, select the "Calendar" tab under the device in iTunes and check the box to sync your device with that iCal calendar.
Note: You will have to refresh the calendar in iCal before syncing in order to have the latest version of your calendar synced.
In order to sync your Google calendar while running Windows, you will need to install a free program called "Google Calendar Sync". You can then sync the Google calendar with Outlook and vice-versa. You will be able to sync your device with Outlook which in turn pushes your calendar changes to Google. Just follow these steps:
- Download and intall Google Calendar Sync on your computer from the following site: Google Calendar Sync.
- After installation, run Google Calendar Sync and enter your ACU e-mail address and password.
- Select "2-Way" (unless you would prefer one way syncing) and enter how often you would like Google Calendar to sync with Outlook.
- Select "Save."
- In iTunes, once the device is connected, check the box to allow the calendar to sync with Outlook.
Your device will now sync with Outlook, which will now stay synced with Google Calendar.
Note: After syncing your device or making changes to Google Calendar you may want to tell Google Calendar Sync to synchronize the calendars. You can do this by right clicking on the Google Calendar Sync icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and selecting "Sync Now."
Syncing your Google Calendar: Two Way (Mac)
On a Mac, in order to sync two-way, you will need a piece of third-party software called "Spanning Sync" found at www.spanningsync.com. This is not a free program and will have to be purchased first. If you are a faculty/staff member contact the Helpdesk to gain access to this software. Once you have the software, follow these steps:
- Install Spanning Sync.
- When prompted for your Google user name, enter your full ACU e-mail address.
- When prompted for you password, enter your ACU password.
- Once Spanning Sync is set up, open iTunes.
- In iTunes, once the device is connected, check the box to allow the device to sync with iCal and choose the calendars to sync with it.
Your device will now sync with iCal, which will sync with Google Calendar.