Information Technology provides one license for each full-time faculty and staff member, for use only on ACU-owned computers. Please contact the Help Desk at x4357 if you do not have a backup solution.
What are my other back-up options?
External hard drives and software can be purchased through the Helpdesk. For backing up Windows machines to an external drive, we support the use of Windows 7 Backup and Restore (free with Windows 7). For Apple computers, we support Apple Time Machine (free). For both platforms, Xythos is also an option if only a small amount of space is needed. If you need assistance with any of these options, please contact the Helpdesk.
- CrashPlan requires the use of your non-alias @acu.edu email account.
- The client computer is running one of the following Operating Systems: Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.7.5 or higher.
- Backups can only occur when the computer is connected to the Internet via a wired or wireless network (a wired (Ethernet) connection is much faster).
- All files needing back-up should be in the user profile, which is located in the "Users" folder on Windows 7 and Macs.
What gets backed up, and how much space do I get?
Users receive unlimited back-up space, though the speed at which files are backed up slows significantly after the first 200gb. Most non-replaceable files such as documents and images are included, while program files, system files, and applications are excluded. Read the detailed list of file types that are not included. By default, only files in the user profile (see above) are included.
- Clients can check if a backup has been performed based on the CrashPlan icon. Visit our FAQ page for detailed information on this process.
- Clients can initiate their own backup and restore at their convenience. Visit our FAQ to find out how to use CrashPlan.
- Information Technology will be assigned to provide client support and to respond to all work requests. Priority is given to clients whose hard drives have failed.
- Deleted files are available for retrieval from the CrashPlan system for 30 days using the application's “Restore” feature.
If you have questions about our new backup system, please review our FAQ page or contact the Helpdesk.
Last Updated: Jon Bruner, January 12, 2016
Submitted To: Kay Reeves and Kevin Roberts
Expiration Date: None
Review Date: January 15, 2019
Executive Director, Information Technology
Check Status of Systems