Information Technology provides a license for one computer to each full-time faculty and staff member, for use only on ACU-owned computers. To get your free license, contact the Help Desk at x4357 to begin the process.
Can I get more than one license?
Additional licenses may be purchased by FOAP at a rate of $30 per year. This license may be used on other ACU-owned machines such as secondary machines, student worker machines, etc. Information Technology does not currently provide a free automated back-up solution for student worker machines, though they have the option of using alternatives as listed below.
What are my other back-up options?
External hard drives and software can be purchased through the Helpdesk. For backing up Windows machines to an external drive, we support the use of Genie Timeline ($40) and Windows 7 Backup and Restore (free with Windows 7). For Apple computers, we support Apple Time Machine (free). For both platforms, Xythos is also an option if only a small amount of space is needed. If you need assistance with either of these options, please contact the Helpdesk.
- A Carbonite account must be set up using your @acu.edu email account.
- The client computer is running one of the following Operating Systems: Windows XP, Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.4 or higher.
- Backups can only occur when the computer is connected to the Internet via a wired or wireless network (a wired (Ethernet) connection is much faster).
- All files needing back-up should be in the user profile, which is located in the "Documents and Settings" folder on Windows XP, and in the "Users" folder on Windows 7 and Macs.
What gets backed up, and how much space do I get?
Users receive unlimited back-up space, though the speed at which files are backed up slows significantly after the first 200gb. Most non-replaceable files such as documents and images are included, while program files, system files, and very large files such as videos, are not. Read the detailed list of file types that are not included. By default, only files in the user profile (see above) are included.
- Clients can check if a backup has been performed based on the Carbonite icon. Visit our FAQ page for detailed information on this process.
- Clients can initiate their own backup and restore at their convenience. Visit our FAQ to find out how to use Carbonite.
- Information Technology will be assigned to provide client support and to respond to all work requests. Priority is given to clients whose hard drives have failed.
- Deleted files are available for retrieval from the Carbonite system for 30 days using the application's “Restore” feature.
If you have questions about our new backup system, please review our FAQ page or contact the Helpdesk.
Last Updated: Jon Bruner, November 18, 2011
Submitted To: Kay Reeves and Kevin Roberts
Expiration Date: None
Review Date: February 15, 2015
Executive Director, Information Technology
Check Status of Systems