Constitution of the North Texas Chapter #55
of the American Association of Teachers of German
The name of the chapter shall be the North Texas Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of German.
The purpose of the chapter conforms to that of the national organization. It proposes to promote and improve the teaching of German in the area covered by this chapter and to encourage a spirit of cooperation and fellowship among its members.
1. Any teacher of German or anyone interested in the teaching of German may join the chapter and the national association upon payment of the annual dues as specified by the by-laws of the national association. No one can be a member of a chapter alone. All chapter members belong first to the national association. Membership will be retained by the continued payment of the annual dues.
2. The annual dues, which include subscription to the official publications of the national association are payable in September of the membership year for which they are intended. Only members in good standing may exercise the privileges of membership.
3. Graduate and undergraduate students who are certified by the chairperson of their department may become student members upon payment of the annual due for student membership.
4. A teacher who at the time of retirement has been a member of AATG for at least fifteen years may elect emeritus membership. The dues for this type of membership are defined in the by-laws of the national organization.
5. Honorary membership in the AATG may be granted only in accordance with the stipulations in the national constitution.
IV. Officers, Nominating Committee and Elections
1. The officers of the chapter are the president, the vice-president, the secretary and the treasurer (or secretary/treasurer). They shall be elected for a term of two years and are not eligible for reelection to the same office for the immediately succeeding term.
2. The nominating committee shall be constituted in accordance with the appropriate section(s) of Robert's Rules of Order. This committee asks for suggestions for nominations from the membership and shall present at least two candidates for all offices. A change of officers from one election to the next is desirable.
3. The slate shall be made known to all chapter members at least three weeks prior to time of election.
4. Election shall be made by secret mail ballot of all chapter members.
The administration of the chapter shall be in the hands of the executive council, which consists of the officers provided for in Section IV. In addition, the ex-president of the chapter may be a member of the executive council for one year following his/her retirement from office.
The chapter shall meet at least two times a year. The time and place of the meeting shall be determined by the president after due consultation with the executive council. The members present at any session shall constitute a quorum.
VII. Changes in the Constitution
The constitution of the chapter may be amended by a two-thirds vote of members present at any regular meeting. Such amendments may be proposed by the executive council or by written notice to the executive council by at least four members of the chapter not later than one month in advance of the meeting at which action is to be taken. The secretary shall submit such proposed amendment or amendments to the membership at least three weeks prior to the time of final action.
By-laws may be adopted or changed at any annual meeting of the chapter by majority of the members present, provided that written notice of the proposed changes is sent to all the members at least thirty days prior to such meeting.
Return to North Texas Chapter home page
Questions to Carolyn Thompson, Abilene Christian University, firstname.lastname@example.org