Overview of SOAR
Our Mission: Partner with faculty, staff, parents and students to assist ACU students. Build a caring community at ACU by connecting students with faculty, staff, parents, and peers.
Important: If the student is in an immediate crisis or an emergency situation, call the Campus Police Department at 325-674-2305.
What is SOAR?
- A referral program to assist you in identifying struggling students.
- We create a safe environment for students to discuss college life and struggles.
- We provide a secure, online referral form.
- After students are referred, we contact them and connect them with campus resources, such as:
- Counseling Center
- Alpha Scholars Program
- Career Counseling
- Medical Clinic
- Residence Life
- All of our meetings are strictly voluntary. We do not require students to meet with one of our counselors.
Who can refer?
Anyone concerned about a student: parents, peers on campus, or ACU faculty and staff members.
Note: We make every attempt to reach out to your struggling student; however, the student may decline our assistance, and we cannot require students to meet with us. The best results occur when faculty/staff, parents, and peers partner with us to reach out to the student.
How do I know when to refer?
If you are unsure about the best campus resource for a student or if you would like some coaching on the best way to handle a student situation, please call us and we will evaluate the situation together.
As soon as you notice a student is struggling, we encourage you to refer them to our program. The earlier a student is referred, the greater success we have working with them.
What are some warning signs?
- Personal or family crises
- Academic/attendance issues
- Career/major indecision or difficulties
- Roommate Problems
- Unusual/changes in behavior
- Retention concerns
How do I refer?
What does the process entail?
When we receive your referral, we:
- Contact the student via ACU email or phone. We may partner with Residence Life to set up a meeting.
- Meet with the student to assess the situation. (All meetings are voluntary. We can never require a student to meet with one of our counselors.)
- Collaborate with the student to determine the campus resource that would be most helpful.
- Follow-up with the student to determine if their needs were met.
If you would like confirmation of our ability to meet with your student, please call or email our office. However, we do not provide details related to academic performance or specifics discussed in the meeting.