Justice Week to feature prominent speakers, raise social awarenessPosted March 26, 2012
Justice Week takes place this week on ACU's campus, featuring prominent guest speakers, groups and events to raise awareness about social injustice. This annual event is put on by the Students' Association in addition to several ACU organizations: International Justice Mission, Wishing Well, ACU Locavores, ACU Fair Trade and the Red Thread Movement. The schedule for the week is below.
Monday, March 26
- Chapel with humanitarian photographer Esther Havens.
- Chapel forum with Discover The Journey at 7 p.m. Discover The Journey is a group of photographers and journalists raising awareness on children in crisis internationally through their media and art. Learn more about Discover the Journey.
- Art exhibition by Esther Havens at 8 p.m. View Havens' work and enjoy refreshments and snacks in the Shore Art Gallery.
Tuesday, March 27
- Chapel with ACU alum Kelsi Williams from Hill Country Hill Tribers.
- Chapel forum with the Hill Country Hill Tribers, featuring ACU alumni Kelsi Williams and Jessica Goudeau. This group works with refugee communities in Austin to provide them with skills for supplemental income. The forum is from 8-9 p.m. Learn more about the Hill Country Tribers.
Wednesday, March 28
- Chapel forum featuring ACU's Theater production "The Many Faces of Justice" and a Slam Poetry contest by the Wishing Well. Forum begins at 3 p.m.
Thursday, March 29
- Chapel forum with the ACU Locavores, featuring alum Jordan Swim. The ACU Locavores promote eating fresh, local foods. The forum begins at 5 p.m.
- A farmers' market event hosted by the Locavores will be prior to and following the chapel forum.
Friday, March 30
The ACU Locavore Club will partner with Connecting Caring Communities to host a fundraising dinner from 6-8 p.m., that featuring locally-grown food prepared by Dallas Chef Jordan Swim, graduate of ACU. Location: the North Park Friendship House, 2610 Hickory St., Abilene, TX 79601. Tickets: $50/person. Click here for details and purchasing options. The Locavore Club exists to promote the health, environmental, social, and spiritual benefits of locally-grown food, and to participate in sustainable, small-scale agricultural systems.
Saturday, March 31
- In the Red Fashion Show takes place at 8:00 p.m. at the Windsor Hotel. To learn more, visit the In the Red website or Facebook page.
"Preparation for this week has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears," said ACU junior Sarah Ratliff, president of ACU's IJM chapter. "We are excited for all the speakers and events that will be bringing awareness to our student body and cause them to take initiative in promoting social justice."
Wildcat Video Minute
Satisfy your curiosity about what it means to live and learn at ACU!
Apply to ACU