COBA student group takes second place at regional competitionPosted April 23, 2010 The Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) group at Abilene Christian University brought home second place in their division, which included Texas A&M University, Oral Roberts University, Louisiana State University and Kansas State University, at the regional SIFE competition March 30 in Dallas.
Six students presented six projects as part of the competition, which was judged on the criteria of free market economics, success skills, entrepreneurship, financial literacy, environmental impact, ethics and team sustainability.
The group's projects were:
- Marketing and fundraising for Hope Haven, a local non-profit organization that assists the homeless.
- An interview dinner for students, featuring a speaker from Enterprise Rent-A-Car on how to get job.
- A study in ethics called "My Friend Morgan" that compiled data from a survey of students.
- Planning business idea boot camps for ACU's 2010 Springboard Ideas Challenge.
- "Leader Dogs for the Blind," a project for University Church of Christ to raise money for Seeing Eye dogs for the blind.
- "Enterprise City," a mock city that engaged fourth- and fifth-graders from Abilene Christian Schools in what it is like to live in a real city.
"I'm excited about the future of our program and the success our students can attain," says Dr. Darryl Jinkerson, associate professor of management sciences.
SIFE is an international non-profit organization that works with leaders in business and higher education to mobilize university students to make a difference in their communities while developing the skills to become socially responsible business leaders. Students form teams on their university campuses and apply business concepts to develop outreach projects that improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.
For more information, visit the SIFE website at www.sife.org.
Did You Know? ACU's trailblazing iPad app for The Optimist has been downloaded over 600 times in more than 25 countries within the first 10 days after its release. This is an exciting global opportunity for ACU as the number of international downloads continues to grow. Learn more about the app here.