Reed to Lead Siburt InstitutePosted September 30, 2014
Dr. Carson Reed has been appointed as Abilene Christian University vice president for church relations and executive director of the Siburt Institute for Church Ministry. Carson joined the ACU faculty in 2012 after a 30-year career in congregational ministry in Tennessee, Oklahoma, Indiana and Georgia. He teaches ministry courses in the Graduate School of Theology and directs the Doctor of Ministry program.
Additionally, Randy Harris, longtime instructor in the College of Biblical Studies, will transition to a new role within the Siburt Institute over the next year. With a reduced teaching load, Harris will serve as spiritual director, developing a new array of services to focus on the spiritual formation of young ministers.
ACU announced the formation of the Siburt Institute during Summit 2012. Named in memory of Charles Siburt, the Institute promotes constructive and collaborative relationships between churches and ACU.
Dr. Royce Money will continue to serve as founding director of the Institute. Robert Oglesby Jr. directs the Center for Youth and Family Ministry and serves as coordinator for the Minister Support Network. Curtis King will continue as coordinator for the institute while Karissa Herchenroeder serves as assistant director of ElderLink.
“With our broadened team of leaders, we hope to grow the portfolio of initiatives that support the ministry and mission of congregations,” says Reed. “ACU is committed to making a difference in the world through service and leadership, a goal the Siburt Institute wholeheartedly supports and shares.”
The Institute offers a variety of resources to churches and church leaders:
- ElderLink and other learning programs that addresses issues of interest to congregational leaders
- Transition services to assist churches in search of candidates to fill ministerial positions
- eConnections, offering online adult continuing education programs
- Consulting and referral services
- Production of research materials, including the annual Ministers’ Salary Survey
- Networking resources for ministerial support and the promotion of racial unity
New initiatives this year include:
- Journey, a new preaching seminar
- Additional program events in Houston, San Antonio, and the Dallas/Fort Worth area
Learn more about the Siburt Institute.
Vision in Action
Watch the video above to witness the future of Abilene Christian University taking shape.
Satisfy your curiosity about what it means to live and learn at ACU!
Apply to ACU