- Admission Requirements
- MSOT Degree Plan
- Course Descriptions
- Fieldwork Experiences
- Fieldwork Educators
- Certification and Licensure
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- Request Information
- Photos and Videos
- Contact Us
- Apply Online
Admission to the program is on a competitive basis. To be considered for admission, applicants must complete and submit the online application and all required documentation.
The admission requirements for the M.S. in Occupational Therapy are:
Early Application Deadline: November 1
Final Application Deadline: February 1
2. Transcripts and coursework – Applicants must submit official transcripts in English (or translated to English) of all previous college work (official means an original with the seal that comes directly from the issuing institution to ACU). The transcript must indicate a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Admissions are made on the assumption that applicants will have the bachelor’s degree by the time of matriculation, and if not, the Graduate School admission is void. At the time of the application, applicants must demonstrate the ability to complete all required pre-professional coursework prior to enrollment in the first semester of the program. In addition, all prerequisite coursework must be completed within seven years prior to enrollment. Both Anatomy and Physiology must be complete at the time of application and no more than 9 hours of prerequisite courses can be in progress for the application file to be reviewed. AP and CLEP credit will not be accepted for any prerequisite course.
3. GPA – An overall GPA of 3.2 is required to apply. Prerequisite and general science course grades will be reviewed.
4. Experience – Applicants are expected to have some knowledge of the occupational therapy profession. This can be acquired as volunteer work, observation hours and/or paid work in a professional occupational therapy setting. A minimum of 40 hours of observation is required prior to the application deadline. Eighty to 100 hours of experience is recommended, preferably in more than one occupational therapy setting. Applicants should have each site where volunteer, observation or work hours are obtained complete the Verification of Observation Hours form.
5. Letters of Recommendation – Two letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter must be provided from an occupational therapist and the other letter provided by a professional who has observed your work. Applicants may submit written letters of recommendation or use the recommendation form that is included as part of the online application. Letters of Recommendation should be completed by individuals who have: (a) observed you during any health care-related volunteer or paid work; (b) previous or present instructors and/or advisors; (c) previous or present employers; and (d) health care professionals. Letters of recommendation should include elements demonstrating the applicants: (a) willingness to learn; (b) integrity; (c) perseverance; and (d) ability to interact with patients/clients.
6. Personal Essay – Applicants must complete an essay as part of the application process. The essay should be two to three pages, double-spaced with one inch margins, 12 pt. font, and should describe your interest in occupational therapy. The personal essay is an opportunity for the applicant to describe what is meaningful about the profession of occupational therapy that has drawn the applicant to the profession. Examples such as occupational therapy observation experiences and/or spiritual/life experiences that relate to choosing occupational therapy as a profession should be discussed.
7. Immunizations and CPR: Verification of required immunizations must be submitted prior to matriculation into the professional curriculum. CPR is required prior to fieldwork and will be provided in the program for a separate fee.
8. Prerequisite Form - Complete and submit ACU's Occupational Therapy Prerequisite form.
Applications for ACU’s Master of Science in Occupational Therapy should be submitted through the ACU Graduate School’s online application system at acu.edu/gradapply. All application materials should be submitted directly to the ACU Graduate School.
9. Students who are admitted into the MSOT program will need to have access to a computer with the parameters found here during the entirety of the program, including while on Fieldwork.