Post address: ACU Box 29210, Abilene, Texas 79699
Office: Sherrod 127
- B.S. in journalism, Abilene Christian University, 2002
- M.A. in mass communications, University of South Florida, 2005
- Ph.D. in mass communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- Associate professor of journalism and mass communication, Abilene Christian University, 2013-present. Courses taught include Social Media, Web Publishing, Editing and Content Management, and Electronic Media Principles.
- Assistant professor of electronic media and communications, Texas Tech University, 2009-2013. Courses taught include Electronic Media and Society, Principles of Digital Media Production, Writing for Electronic Media, Electronic Media Operations, and Web Design and Interaction.
- Assistant director, ASNE High School Journalism Institute, Tampa, Fla., 2005-2006.
- Copy editor, The Tampa Tribune, Tampa, Fla., 2002-2004
- Dow Jones editing intern, The Tennessean, Nashville, Tenn., 2001
- Reporting intern, The Washington Times, Washington, D.C., 2000
- Haley, J., Ritsch, M., & Smith, J. (2016). The best of both worlds: Student perspectives on student-run advertising and public relations agencies. Journal of Public Relations Education 2(1), 19-33. Available here.
- Bobkowski, P., & Smith, J. (2013). Social media divide: Characteristics of emerging adults who do not use social networking websites. Media, Culture & Society 35(6), 771-781. Available here.
- Smith, J.E., & Tirumala, L. (2012). Twitter’s effects on student learning and social presence perceptions. Teaching Journalism and Mass Communication, 2(1), 21-31. Available here.