SSN and Texas Driver License
When you arrive in the U.S., you will find many businesses require a U.S. document that proves your identity. You may be able to use your passport for some needs, but others will require one of the following:
Social Security Number: This number is a U.S. government-issued identification number for U.S. tax purposes. F and J visa holders who have an offer of employment and are maintaining their status are eligible to apply for a Social Security number. Please come to the Center for International Education with your written offer of employment to request the required documents for this application.
When you visit the Social Security Office, they will request the following:
- Two form letters from ACU Center for International Education (CIE) verifying status and employment
- A completed Social Security application (which you can obtain at the Social Security office when you go to apply)
- Your passport, visa, and I-94 card
- Your original I-20 or DS-2019
- Your ACU ID card
The Social Security Administration Office is at 1202 E.S. 11th Street, and is open from 9:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday. (Talk to Laura Blake in the CIE if you don't have transportation). After you apply for hte card, it will take 10-14 days to receive the card in the mail.
Texas Driver License or ID Card: These are often used as photo-IDs. For application information, please go to the State of Texas Department of Public Safety (www.txdps.state.tx.us/).
Be prepared to show the following documents when you visit the DPS:
- Your original I-20
- Your passport, visa, and I-94
- Your ACU ID
- A Letter from ACU Registrar's office verifying current enrollment
Request an Appointment
Sign up for an appointment with the staff of the Center for International Education.