For Applicants of the Standard Program
While the Standard Program accepts students with a bachelor's degree in any field, students are expected to demonstrate a broad liberal arts background, including two courses from each of the humanities/fine arts, and communication/language. to see if a specific course qualifies for the liberal arts background requirement, please contact the School of Social Work office. A course in statistics is highly desirable.
- Pay the $50 application fee;
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended. The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent;
- A cumulative undergraduate approximate B average or above in the area of focus or related area and evidence of an overall productive GPA; If undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, the GRE or MAT entrance exam is required. Our GRE code is 6001;
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted through the online application);
- A personal statement addressing your motivation for graduate studies and entering the social work profession, including reflections on the four themes of the ACU School of Social Work- evidence-based practice, God’s gift of diversity, faith and social work, and social justice;
- A second writing sample in the form of a formal graded (returned with feedback) senior level assignment of at least five pages from the student's undergraduate work (or acceptable alternative). Contact the School of Social Work for a grading rubric
- A "field practicum assessment" must be submitted by students who have graduated from a CSWE accredited BSW/BSSW program and are applying to advanced standing status (1 year program).
For Applicants of the Advanced Standing Program
Applications for the Standard Program are accepted for fall admission. Advanced Standing students with a recent BSW degree from a program accredited by the SCSWE are admitted in June. Applications received by February 16 will receive early review, priority for scholarships, graduate assistantships and field practicum sites. Applicants who completed the BSW more than five years ago are eligible for Advanced Standing if they are employed in the field of social services.
In addition to the requirements listed above, applicants of the advanced program must submit the following.
- One letter of recommendation must be from a former social work professor
For questions regarding the program, admissions requirements, or the application process, please contact Graduate Admissions at 800-460-6228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application materials should be sent to:
Abilene Christian University
ACU Box 29140
Abilene, Texas 79699-9140
ACU ranks 3rd among the 35 Best Value Christian Colleges with a CSWE-accredited Social Work Program in 2015. Read more