Requirements for the MLA are:
1. This interdisciplinary degree requires studies in
various disciplines with the courses and areas
being related by the student’s intellectual curiosity
2. The student must demonstrate appropriate research
competencies to the satisfaction of the supervisory
committee, the MLA advisor and the graduate dean.
Specific courses maybe required to build research
3. At least 36 hours meeting the general requirements of
the Graduate School (including at least 50 percent at
the 600 level) and the following guidelines:
a. Two academic divisions: the program must
include courses from at least two academic
divisions of the university.
b. Cluster of courses: 18 hours must reflect
a cluster of courses related by theme or topic.
The student has considerable freedom in
defining a cluster theme or topic.
4. Single discipline: a maximum of 18 hours may be applied
from a single discipline. Additional hours within a
discipline may be taken as electives over and above the
36 hours required for the degree.
5. Other areas of interest: 12-15 hours may be related to
any of the student’s other interests.
6. Synthesis project: a 3-6 hour project related to the
cluster area will culminate the degree program. Guided
by the supervisory committee, this project will
demonstrate the student’s ability to develop ideas and
use analytical skills at the masters level.
7. Comprehensive examination: The student will
successfully complete a written and/or
comprehensive oral examination extending the
synthesis project and relating the course
workunder the direction of the supervisory committee.
Unsatisfactory performance mayrequire additional
course work before another examination may be