Admission requirements for the MA in English are:
- Complete an online Graduate School application;
- Pay the $50 application fee;
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous colleges attended. The transcript must indicate an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent;
- A cumulative undergraduate approximate B average or above in the area of focus or related area and evidence of an overall productive GPA;
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted through the online application);
- An official GRE score;
- A two page, double spaced, purpose statement addressing why you want to pursue graduate school, why did you choose ACU, and your future career goals;
- A writing sample in either:
- A sample critical essay (maximum of 15 pages) that demonstrates the applicant’s capacity for interpretation and literary analysis, or
- A sample creative writing in prose or poetry (maximum of 20 pages) if the student intends to pursue the writing emphasis track. Writing samples will not be returned unless a self-addressed, stamped envelope is provided;
- 12 hours of upper-division English courses.
Applicants who fail to meet one or more admission requirements may be admitted conditionally. A letter to the student will specify the procedures and deadlines for satisfying the entrance requirements.
Except for the language requirement, deficiencies ordinarily must be satisfied during the first semester of study.
- Complete an online application to the ACU Graduate School and pay the application fee.
- Submit your official transcripts from all colleges attended. If you are still enrolled in an undergraduate program, send us your unofficial transcripts so we can begin reviewing your application.
- Send us your completed application documents. For a detailed list of requirement, see above.
- Take the GRE and request that your official scores be sent to ACU. Our GRE code is 6001. For more information visit ets.org/gre.
For questions regarding the program, admissions requirements, or the application process, please contact Graduate Admissions at 800-460-6228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application materials should be sent to:
Abilene Christian University
ACU Box 29140
Abilene, Texas 79699-9140