For immediate release
August 23, 2002
As students return to Abilene Christian University for the 2002 fall semester, 15 new faculty members will be in place, ready for the new academic year.
On Monday, ACU's Opening Session will kick off the 97th school year. Opening Session is Aug. 26 in Moody Coliseum. It will start at 11 a.m., and Prentice Meador, member of ACU's Board of Trustees and preaching minister at Prestoncrest Church of Christ, will speak.
The traditional highlight of Opening Session will be the Parade of Flags and the Ceremony of Allegiance. More than 100 flags from across the United States and around the world will be featured in the ceremony, representing the states and countries of ACU students, faculty and staff.
The 15 new faculty members represent a balanced variety of experiences and backgrounds, said Dr. Dwayne VanRheenen, ACU provost.
"The new faculty this year are a nice blend of established professionals with considerable experience in higher education and young scholars who have only recently received their terminal degrees," VanRheenen said. "Given their academic training and personal qualities, we have high expectations."
Raye Lakey, director of faculty development and instructional development, said that the new faculty members come to ACU with a passion for ACU's Christian mission.
"This group of new faculty members expressed a strong sense of God's calling them to the ministry of teaching at ACU," Lakey said. "During new faculty orientation, they valued discussions about our distinctive mission and our focus on integrating Christian perspectives inside and outside the classroom."
New Faculty Additions • Fall 2002
· Amanda Carroll, visiting instructor of sociology
· Dr. Laura Carroll, assistant professor of English
· Dr. T. Brian Cavitt, assistant professor of chemistry
· Dr. Donna Gee, professor of education
· Eric Harrell, assistant professor of theatre
· David Hogan, instructor of journalism and mass communication
· Dr. Jeffery D. Houghton, associate professor of management sciences
· Dr. Darryl Jinkerson, assistant professor of management sciences
· Dr. Alexander Karabegov, associate professor of mathematics
· Ronnie Rama, assistant professor of art and design
· Dr. Jennifer W. Shewmaker, assistant professor of psychology
· Tracy Shilcutt, instructor of history
· Dr. Scott Simpson, assistant professor of English
· Dr. Phillip D. Vardiman, assistant professor of management sciences
· Dr. Jerry Winsor, professor of communication
In addition, eight faculty members received doctoral degrees in the past year.
New Doctorates for ACU faculty ° Fall 2002
· Brenda Bender ? PhD, University of Memphis in Speech-Language Pathology, assistant professor of communication disorders
· Cole Bennett ? PhD, University of Southern Mississippi in English, assistant professor of English and director, university writing center
· Laura Carroll ? PhD, Texas A & M University in English, assistant professor of English
· Kyle Dickson ? PhD, Baylor University in English, assistant professor of English
· K.B. Massingill ? PhD, University of North Texas in Information Sciences, Instructor of journalism and mass communication
· Mark McCallon ? EdD, Baylor University in Higher Education Administration, assistant professor of library science and assistant director, Brown Library
· Dana McMichael ? PhD, Oklahoma State University in English, assistant professor of English
· C.D. Pruett ? PhD, University of North Texas in Sociology, assistant professor of family and consumer sciences
If you are a member of the media who would like more information about this release, please contact Wendy Kilmer, university news coordinator.