Seven ACU employees honored for 30-plus years of
For Immediate Release
April 17, 2000
At Abilene Christian University's annual Faculty/Staff
Appreciation Dinner Friday night, seven people where honored
for their long careers at ACU with 30-plus years of service.
Dr. Sally Reid, Department of Music
- Reid is an accomplished, world-famous composer. She
served as Music Department chair for 11 years and was the
editor of the International League of Women Composers for
- She is president of the International Alliance for
Women in Music and serves as site administrator for the
IAWM Web site.
- She has received countless honors, including annual
ASCAP awards since 1987.
- Currently, one of her works, "Jesus, Redeemer,
Messiah," is now featured on the Vatican Jubilee 2000 Web
Dr. Paul Schulze, Department of Physics
- Schulze has been instrumental in developing an
enviable physics program for ACU. Along with producing
and publishing volumes of research, he did research for
the Johnson Space Center in Houston in 1983.
- He has served as chairman of the Physics Department,
and most recently, he was elected president of the Texas
Section of the American Association of Physics
Sam Sparks, Board of Trustees, Santa Rosa
- Sam Sparks is chairman of the B&P Bridge Company,
which operates the International Bridge at Weslaco. He
is director of the Rio Grande Valley Sugar Growers, Inc.,
in Santa Rosa and the Rio Grande Valley Partnership in
Weslaco. He is also president of Rio Farms, Inc., an
agricultural research facility.
- Sam and his wife, Seanne, have four children and 10
Warlick Thomas, Board of Trustees, Amarillo
- While at ACU Warlick Thomas was a member of the A
Club and was captain of the basketball team.
- He has been an attorney in private practice since
1957, but he retired in 1998. He is past president of
the Amarillo Bar Association.
- He and his wife, Jo Ann, have five children and eight
Dr. Preston Harper, Department of English
- English has been Harper's life
to ACU 35 years ago to teach English, he taught the same
subject in the Austin public school system.
- He has been a member of numerous professional
organizations, including the Modern Language Association
and the Texas Joint Council of Teachers of English.
- He has presented and published many of his scholarly
research conclusions, and he has been an active presenter
at the Southwest Conference on Christianity and
Dr. John Robinson, Department of History
- Robinson has been part of the backbone of ACU's
History Department for 35 years.
- He is the author of several books and articles for
academic journals, and he has extensively researched
Latin American history and Far East history.
- Before coming to ACU, the Robinsons served as
missionaries in the Philippines.
- Robinson is a regular resource for the media and
public to help evaluate historic significance and impact
of current events.
Dr. Charlie Marler, Department of Journalism and Mass
- When Marler was editor of the Prickly Pear as a
student, the theme of his book was "The Singing College."
In the realms of journalism and mass communication,
Charlie has been making ACU sing for the past 45
- He has served in many capacities, both on the staff
and faculty. He was chairman of the Journalism and Mass
Communication Department for 10 years and division
director before that.
- Along with his involvement and leadership in numerous
professional organizations, Dr. Marler is an accomplished
editor. He served as editor for Dr. John Stevens' "No
- Along with his many writing and teaching awards, his
students consistently earn all-American honors for their
student publication work.
Releases - Current
ACU News and Events
If you are a member of the media who would like more
information about this release, please contact Tom
Craig, director of media and community relations, at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call
915-674-2692 (cell phone: 665-5469).
- Last update: April 12, 2000
- This page is maintained by Tom Craig,