Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is the Office of General Counsel able to offer advice about personal legal concerns?

The Office of General Counsel cannot offer legal advice to any individual seeking help with a personal matter. ACU employees may be eligible to receive personal legal advice through the Employee Assistance Program benefit offered by Human Resources. Learn more about this program

If you need help finding an attorney, check the following resources:

2. How can I get a new will prepared?

If you would like to include ACU as a beneficiary of your estate, then please contact our office or The ACU Foundation by email at or during business hours at (325) 674-2508. If you do not plan to include ACU as a beneficiary of your estate, check the following resources to locate an attorney that can assist you with your planning:

3. When do I need permission to use someone else's work or publication?

The Office of General Counsel recommends that all faculty, staff and/or students be sensitive and cautious about utilizing copyrighted materials. To learn more about ownership of copyrighted materials and how to obtain permission to use copyrighted materials, visit the University of Texas Copyright Crash Course.


4. How do I know when I am authorized to reveal student academic information to a third party, including parents or guardians?

Faculty and staff can use a Banner 3rd Party Access Form, "SZFERPA," which lists who, if any, has been given authorization to receive information about the student's educational records.


5. I have a problem with my lease (or landlord). Can the Office of General Counsel help me?

The Office of General Counsel is unable to offer legal advice about leases or landlord/tenant issues. You can go to the Texas Attorney General's website to find out more information about renters' rights in the state of Texas.

6. What steps do I need to take in order to appeal a disciplinary action?

You must submit an appeals form. Please contact the Judicial Affairs office or see the Student Guide for more information regarding the appeals process.

7. What rights do I have under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA, grants several rights to students concerning their educational records.For more information on students' rights click here.

8. If I have a complaint against ACU involving FERPA, what can I do?

If you wish to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, contact:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC  20202-4605