SSN and Texas Driver License

When you arrive in the U.S., you will find many businesses require a U.S. document that proves your identity. You may be able to use your passport for some needs, but others will require one of the following:

Social Security Number: This number is a U.S. government-issued identification number for U.S. tax purposes. F and J visa holders who have an offer of employment and are maintaining their status are eligible to apply for a Social Security number. Please come to the Center for International Education with your written offer of employment to request the required documents for this application.

When you visit the Social Security Office, they will request the following:

  • Two form letters from ACU Center for International Education (CIE) verifying status and employment
  • A completed Social Security application, found at
  • Your passport, visa, and I-94 card
  • Your original I-20 or DS-2019
  • Your ACU ID card

The Social Security Administration Office is at 1202 E.S. 11th Street, and is open from 9:00am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday but Wednesday is only open from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Talk to Veronica Whitt in the CIE if you don't have transportation). After you apply for the card, it will take 10-14 days to receive the card in the mail.

Texas Driver License or ID Card: These are often used as photo IDs. For application information, please go to the State of Texas Department of Public Safety, 4649 South First Street (

Be prepared to show the following to prove your identity and immigration status in the U.S.:

  • Original I-20
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94

In order to prove Texas residency, be prepared to show any two of the following documents, always making sure that the address on both is exactly the same:

  • Notarized letter from Veronica Whitt in the Center for International Education
  • Checking, savings, investment account, or credit card statements dated within 90 days of the application date
  • Mail from a federal, state, county, or city government agency dated within 90 days of the application date
  • W-2 or 1099 tax form from the current year
  • Pre-printed paycheck or pay stub within 90 days of the application date
  • Electric, water, natural gas, satellite television, cable television, or non-cellular telephone statement dates within 90 days of the application date
  • Current renters insurance policy or statement
  • Current automobile insurance policy or statement

Be prepared to pay $16 with a cash or a check, not with a debit or credit card.

Related Links