On-Campus Work

Current immigration regulations allow most F-1 and J-1 international students to work on-campus. Read below to see if you are eligible and the steps for working on-campus. Take time to know the laws!! Remember that any illegal work may have severe consequences for your immigration status.

How do I know if I am eligible to work on-campus?

Are you enrolled full time? Students must be currently enrolled as a full time student and maintaining F-1 or J-1 immigration status. Students may be employed over the summer months without being enrolled as long as they are continuing students for the following Fall semester and have not graduated.

Have you checked-in at the CIE with your documents? Students must have checked in with the Center for International Education upon arrival and shown all required immigration documents. The I-94 must accurately specify your F-1 or J-1 immigration status.

If J-1, have you requested and received written on-campus work permission from the RO? J-1 students must obtain necessary written permission from the RO/ARO prior to employment.

How do I find a job?

Check the listings on the ACU Human Resources website, and apply online. Students can visit the ACU Career Center online or on the second floor of Hunter Welcome Center for help preparing resumes and cover letters. Many students also find employment by personally asking if a position is open in different areas on campus.

After I get a job offer, what do I do next?

1. Download the On-Campus Employment Approval Form, fill it out, and get the required signatures. This form will confirm your eligibility to work on-campus.

2. Fill out an I-9 form in the Human Resources office (Administration Building, Room 213) and bring the following items:

- Passport, visa and I-20 (or DS-2019 + employment letter from RO)
- ACU ID card
- One voided check

3. Bring the completed forms back to the CIE, pick up letters to take to the Social Security office. 

4. Apply for a social security card at least 10 days after your entry into the U.S.

5. Report your social security number to the Human Resources office when you receive it.

How much can I work?

During the Fall/Spring semesters: F-1 and J-1 students may work up to a total of 20 hours per week between Sunday to Saturday. Students may have multiple positions, but the total hours worked may not exceed 20 hours per week. Students can use the online weekly hours calculator here. Students who work more than 20 hours per week during the long semesters are subject to SEVIS termination. ACU monitors on-campus student work.

When school is not in session (university holidays and Winter/Spring breaks), students may work full-time. ACU limits student on-campus work to a maximum of 25 hours during holiday periods. Students who graduate must stop working on-campus on or before the date of their graduation.

What is considered on-campus work?

Federal laws specify that on-campus employment must meet several criteria:

1. Work must be on ACU's campus.
2. Work must directly benefit ACU students.
3. Work must be paid by either ACU or a contract employer, such as Aramark.

Work paid by other employers may not qualify, even though it is conducted on the campus of ACU (such as computer research or marketing from your dorm). Check with the CIE to make sure your proposed employment is considered “on-campus” work if there are any questions before you begin your job. Even one day of unauthorized work jeopardizes your immigration status.

Do you have questions?

For immigration questions, contact Lucy Dawson, Immigration Specialist in the Center for International Education by emailing lucy.dawson@acu.edu or calling 325-674-2710.

For questions about social security numbers, contact Veronica Whitt, International Student Coordinator, by emailing vdw09a@acu.edu or calling 325-674-2710.