University Admission


Admission CategoriesSecond Baccalaureate Degree Admission
Freshman AdmissionTransient (Short Term) Student Admission
Bachelor of Applied Studies AdmissionIntercollege Student Admission
International Student AdmissionESL Student Admission
Transfer AdmissionMilitary or Veteran Student Admission
Graduate AdmissionAcademic Fresh Start Student
Former ACU Student (Re-Admission)


Office of Admissions

Mark Lavender, Director of Admissions 
ACU Box 29000; Abilene, Texas 79699-9000
Hunter Welcome Center, Suite 140

Phone: 325-674-2650 (in Abilene) or 800-460-6228 (outside Abilene)
Fax: 325-674-2130

A goal of the director of admissions is to admit a broad range of well-prepared students. The availability of student financial aid facilitates this goal by permitting the university to consider applicants without regard to their ability to pay full tuition costs. (See the Financial Aid section of this catalog.) Abilene Christian University complies with all applicable federal and state non-discrimination laws, and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, color, nationality or ethnic origin, gender, age or disability in admissions decisions, financial aid and provision of student services, programs and activities. As a private educational institution, however, ACU reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant whose academic preparation, character or personal conduct is determined to be inconsistent with the purposes and objectives of the university.

The purpose of the admissions process is to identify applicants who are likely to succeed academically at ACU and contribute positively to the campus community. The process considers such factors as high school records (including courses taken, grade trends and rank in class), score on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT), references, extracurricular activities and honors. Admission or denial of admission is not based on any single factor.

Back To Top

   Admission Categories

Freshman Student – A student matriculating from high school or the GED program.

Bachelor of Applied Studies Student – A non-traditional student who is 25 years or older and has at least two years work or volunteer experience may apply for admission to the Bachelor of Applied Studies Program.

International Student – A student who is not a U.S. citizen and holds a non-immigrant visa (eligible to study in the U.S.).

Transfer Student – A student who has attended another accredited college or university and desires to attend ACU to pursue a degree.

Graduate Student – A student who has received a bachelor’s degree and is admitted to a master’s degree program.

Former ACU Student (Re-Admission) – A student who previously attended ACU, was away for one or more semesters, and desires to return (includes students who were required to leave).

Second Baccalaureate Degree-Seeking Student – A student who has already completed one baccalaureate degree from ACU or another accredited university and is seeking to complete a second baccalaureate degree from ACU.

Transient (Special or Short Term) Student – A student who desires to take one or more courses at ACU without pursuing a degree.

Intercollege Student – A student who is admitted to ACU, Hardin-Simmons or McMurry and who takes courses at any of these universities to count toward his or her degree by completing an intercollege enrollment form.

ESL Student – Degree and non-degree seeking students wishing to improve their English language ability. Required for degree-seeking students who do not meet ACU’s minimum language requirement (see Institute of Intensive English in the Department of Foreign Languages section).

Military or Veteran Student – Military service personnel and veterans of military service.

Academic Fresh Start Student – A student who previously attended ACU and has not been enrolled in any college or university for at least five years may request approval for Academic Fresh Start.

Back To Top

   Freshman Admission

To be considered for admission to an undergraduate degree program at ACU, a prospective student must see that the director of admissions receives the following:

     1. Completed application form accompanied by a non-refundable processing fee.  
         Applicants who do not have a Social Security Number should secure one before
         submitting an application.

     2. Official transcripts of all previous academic work. Students are required to submit
         final official transcripts from the high school from which they graduated and any
         colleges they have attended. A final official transcript is delivered to the university
         in a sealed envelope, marked as official, and contains a date of graduation if

         The director of admissions can consider freshman applications from students who
         have not graduated from high school but have passed the General Educational
         Development (GED) equivalency test and from persons 21 years of age or older
         who present strong evidence of ability to succeed in college.

    3. SAT or ACT scores (not required of some transfer students, see 
         Transfer Admission)

         College Board - SAT Programs (Customer Service)
         PO Box 025505
         Miami, Florida 33102

         ACT Records
         301 ACT Drive
         PO Box 451
         Iowa City, Iowa 52243-0451

         SAT or ACT scores must be submitted by all freshmen. Contact SAT or ACT
         directly to request scores. Applicants are required to take one of these tests 
         at the earliest possible date. Prospective students cannot be admitted unless
         SAT or ACT scores are on file. Either test will be acceptable for admission purposes
         provided that the student achieves sufficient results.

    4. Two references using the forms provided. An applicant should arrange to have
         two references sent to the Office of Admissions: one from a teacher and one from
         an activities leader (such as a youth minister, employer, band director or coach) who
         are not related to the student. These references should evaluate the candidate’s
         character and potential to succeed at ACU and to contribute to the campus
         environment. Please use the reference forms provided with the application.

     5. Residence Halls

         ACU Box 29004; Abilene, Texas 79699-9004
         McDonal Hall, Lobby

         Phone: 325-674-2066
         Fax: 325-674-2041

         All first- and second-year students are required to live in on-campus residence halls.
         Newly admitted students may apply for housing online through their myACU account.
         Assignments are made according to the date applications are completed and
         submitted to the Office of Residence Life Education and Housing. Current first-year 
         students apply for second-year residence halls through a lottery process held in the
         spring semester of each year. An Application to Live Off Campus is required of
         students who are eligible to live off campus but are typically required to live in a
         residence hall (first- and second-year students, etc.). To review a list of qualifications
         for this exception and obtain an application, see Please see
         the Residence Life Education and Housing section of this catalog for a more complete
         presentation of our housing policies.

    6. Health RecordForm

         ACU Box 28154; Abilene, Texas 79699-8154
         McKinzie Hall East, Room 101

         Phone: 325-674-2625
         Fax: 325-674-2434

Completed Health Record form with a current medical history and immunization records is required at the time of registration. Health record form must be submitted to Health Services by August 1 for the fall term. Deadline for the spring term is December 1.


The university requires that all students born after December 31, 1956, provide proof of two MMR immunizations in their lifetime, proof of their last polio immunization and proof of a tetanus shot administered in the last 10 years. Students must meet this requirement by providing documentation of the immunization by the fifth week of the first semester of enrollment. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a hold being placed on the student’s Banner account. Documentation may be mailed to ACU Medical Clinic, ACU Box 28154, Abilene, Texas 79699 or faxed to 325-674-6998. Include your birth date or Banner ID number on all documentation. Questions regarding immunization status should be directed to the ACU Medical Clinic at 325-674-2625.


The university also requires that non-U.S. residents from countries with a high prevalence of tuberculosis receive a Mantoux skin test for tuberculosis. A list of the countries in which students are from and required to receive the TB skin test is located on the last page of the Health Record Form which can be accessed via the internet at This requirement is in accordance with recommendations from the American College Health Association and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). The tuberculosis screen test must be administered either by the ACU Medical Clinic or a U.S. health care provider. The test will be at the student’s expense. Required students should provide documentation of the test and results or receive the test at the ACU Medical Clinic by the fifth week of the first semester of enrollment. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a hold being placed on the student’s Banner account.


The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the American College Health Association recommend that all college students living in residence halls consider obtaining the meningococcal vaccine. Meningitis is a bacterial infection usually infecting young children and the elderly; however, young adults living in close quarters such as residence halls are also at an increased risk of infection. Students living off campus have no increased risk. If you have any questions or would like to receive the vaccination for bacterial meningitis, please contact ACU Medical Clinic at 325-674-2625.


In accordance with state law and federal regulations, a student’s medical information is kept completely confidential and cannot be released to anyone, including parents and/or guardians, without the student’s written permission unless otherwise authorized by law.


Back To Top

   Bachelor Of Applied Studies
(Non-Traditional) Admission

Lynda Thornton, Advisor
Department of Applied Studies
ACU Box 28082; Abilene, Texas 79699-8082
Hunter Welcome Center

Phone: 325-674-2505
Fax: 325-674-6903

The College of Arts and Sciences offers the Bachelor of Applied Studies to encourage adults to obtain a bachelor’s degree. A student may begin a degree program at the entry level or a student may be able to combine previous college experience with knowledge obtained outside the classroom to form a foundation for degree completion. Special efforts are made to incorporate adult learners into the university environment.

Special off-campus offerings, Study Abroad activities or intercollege courses will be subject to additional costs and require an advisor’s approval.

Admission Requirements

     1. Minimum age of 25.

     2. Minimum of two years work or volunteer experience.

     3. Interview with the BAS advisor.

     4. Bachelor of Applied Studies Application and non-refundable application fee.

     5. Satisfactory official transcripts of all previous college work. A high school transcript is
         required if fewer than 30 college semester hours have been earned.

     6. A two-page, typed statement of purpose.

     7. Two letters of recommendation from non-family members (one personal, one
         academic or job-related).

     8. Without an associate’s degree or with fewer than 64 acceptable college semester
         hours, appropriate test scores (e.g. SAT/ACT, COMPASS, WAIS, TONI or placement
         testing) are required.

Back To Top

   International Student Admission

Kevin Kehl, Executive Director
Center for International and Intercultural Education
ACU Box 28226, Abilene, Texas 79699-8226 USA
Hardin Administration Building, Room 124

Phone: 325-674-2710
Fax: 325-674-2966

International students applying for admission to Abilene Christian University are given the same consideration as other students, except that they must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and show evidence of ability to understand and use English sufficiently well to succeed in their work at ACU. The Center for International and Intercultural Education issues the I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility, to international students admitted to the university.

International and international transfer applicants must arrange to have an official transcript in English (mailed by the registrar to ACU at the above address) from the high school of graduation and each university previously attended. (To ensure evaluation, the transfer applicant should provide a catalog and syllabus in English.)

Back To Top

   Transfer Admission

Transfer applicants must submit an official transcript from each college previously attended and an official high school transcript. To be official, a transcript labeled “official” by the issuing institution must be transmitted in a sealed envelope directly from the issuing institution to the receiving institution. Admitted students who have 65 or more semester hours of transferable college credit are not required to take the SAT or ACT if they have met all General Education requirements at ACU. They must be in good standing with the college or university previously attended. Those on suspension at another institution are not eligible for admission to ACU.

All course work from any institution, completed prior to enrollment at ACU, will be evaluated according to the following policy or according to a specific transfer articulation agreement with the prior institution. How transfer credit is applied toward an ACU undergraduate degree depends on an evaluation of each course to determine its comparability in content and semester-hour credit to a corresponding ACU course or degree requirement. Accredited transfer courses may be blocked to meet comparable requirements at ACU. When no comparability is found, an accredited course is counted as an elective. A course that carries more credit than the corresponding ACU course or requirement is counted as equivalent; the additional hours are counted as elective credit.

Grades for transfer courses (outside the intercollege agreement) are not included in the student’s GPA at ACU.

To be eligible to graduate with honors (summa, magna, cum laude), students must have completed 64 hours of courses at ACU.

Back To Top

Transferring Credit at the Time of Admission

     1. Transfer courses with a grade of “C” or higher from regionally accredited institutions
         will be posted to the student’s ACU record and may count toward hours in a degree
         if the credits are appropriate.

     2. Transfer courses will be posted at the same level they were taken at a previous 
         institution. ACU accepts only courses equivalent or comparable to courses offered
         at ACU.

     3. ACU does not offer nor accept college credit for vocational/technical training or for
         work force education courses.

     4. Evaluation of transfer work intended to meet specific ACU degree requirements is the
         responsibility of the chair of the department offering the comparable course at ACU.

     5. No more than 66 semester hours of credit from a community, junior or other two-year
         college may be applied toward an ACU degree.

     6. The maximum number of transferred credit hours that may be applied toward an ACU
         undergraduate degree is 96.

     7. A student who transfers four different exercise science activity courses to ACU is
         exempt from taking EXSC 100. (The maximum number of activity courses that may
         be applied toward an ACU degree is four.)

     8. Grades for transfer courses are not included in the student’s GPA at ACU.

     9. See Bible Hours Required of Transfer Students for information about how transfer
         hours affect general education Bible requirements.

   10. Students who transfer fewer than 22 hours that apply toward an ACU degree are 
         required to take University Seminar (U100).

   Note for art majors: Credit hours transferred toward a degree in art shall not exceed one-half of the credit hours within the major. A minimum of 24 of the total advanced hours in studio areas required for the BFA must be done at ACU.

Back To Top

   Transferring Credit from Institutions that are Not Regionally Accredited

Students wishing to transfer courses to ACU from institutions that are not regionally
accredited must:

     • Complete one semester as a full-time student at ACU with a GPA of at least 2.5.

     • Provide course descriptions and academic credentials of each instructor for the
        courses that are to be considered for transfer.

     • Request a transfer reevaluation after their first semester at ACU.

During their first semester at ACU, students will qualify for financial aid based only on the number of hours previously earned at regionally accredited institutions, if any. After one semester financial aid eligibility will be recalculated, upon request, and based on the total number of hours that have been awarded under this policy.

   Bible Hours Required of Transfer Students (University Core)

     1. Students with Bible transfer courses:
         Students will not be required to take more than 15 hours (or 5 courses), including  
         transfer Bible hours/courses as long as they meet the following distribution

         • Biblical text: at least one Old and one New Testament course.

         • Advanced Bible: (BGRK, BHEB, BIBD, BIBH, BIBL, BIBM, or BMIS) at least one course.

     2. Students with no Bible transfer courses:
         The following calculations are based on the minimum number of hours required for
         an ACU degree (128 hours). The number of Bible hours for students with majors
         requiring more than128 hours is based on the 128-hour minimum requirement.

ACU hours requiredBible hours required on a degree at ACU*
116 or more15

*Based on 10 percent of the remaining hours required at ACU to the closest multiple of three. 
Note: Courses should be taken in sequence (BIBL 101, 211, 212, 102). International students
take BIBL 211 first.

Back To Top

   Former ACU Student (Re-Admission)

Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2236
Fax: 325-674-2238

All students who leave the University for more than one long semester must apply for re-admission. All students who leave the University on academic probation or suspension or with disciplinary concerns must apply for re-admission. Their cases will be taken before the University Re-Admission Committee to determine their eligibility to return to ACU. Decisions made by the committee are made based on a variety of factors, looking at the holistic view of the student, rather than just one factor. The decision of the University Re-Admission Committee is final. Those students on academic suspension from another institution will not be eligible for re-admission to ACU.

Students wanting to apply for re-admission should refer to the Re-Admission Form and Instructions page on the ACU Registrar's Office web site for instructions and the application forms. Note that the deadlines for applying each semester will be strictly enforced. 

Back To Top

   Second Baccalaureate Degree Student

Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2236
Fax: 325-674-2238

Students who already have attained a baccalaureate degree (either from ACU or another accredited institution) and wish to work toward a second baccalaureate degree must apply for admission to the University.

Students applying to ACU in this category will be required to provide copies of all college transcripts, as well as other admissions documents that are required for other undergraduate students. Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree will be required to meet the general education requirements for the degree they are pursuing and must have at least 24 hours in addition to the work completed for their first degree.

Back To Top

   Transient (Special or Short Term) Students

Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2236
Fax: 325-674-2238

Students who want to take courses for academic credit but are not seeking a degree from ACU may be admitted on a semester-by semester basis as transient, or non-degree, students. This provision applies, for example, to students enrolled in another college, qualified high school students, and visiting summer students. Transient applicants must:

     1. Complete a Special Student Application, available in the Registrar’s Office or online

     2. Submit an official high school or college transcript.

     3. High school students must also submit a letter of permission from a high school
         counselor or principal.

Students from other institutions are urged to confer with their own advisor before enrolling at ACU. Students who have a baccalaurate degree but want to take additional undergraduate courses must apply through the Graduate School.

Non-degree students who later decide to continue their work at ACU must apply for admission to a degree program following published procedures. The fact that they have been admitted to non-degree status for one or more semesters does not guarantee their admission to a degree program at ACU.

Back To Top

   ESL Student Admission

Center for International and Intercultural Education
ACU Box 28226, Abilene, Texas 79699-8226
Hardin Administration Building, Room 124

Phone: 325-674-2710
Fax: 325-674-2710

ESL students should contact the Center for International and Intercultural Education for application to the Institute of Intensive English and admission to the university. See the Institute of Intensive English in the Foreign Languages Department section of this catalog.

Back To Top

   Military and Veterans Admission

Bill Hughes, VA Coordinator
Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2902
Fax: 325-674-2238

Veterans applying for admission to the university should follow the same procedures as others, but they should also contact, as early as possible, the veterans’ coordinator in the Registrar’s Office to expedite handling of VA forms needed to qualify for benefits.

Veterans should submit evidence of satisfactory completion of Service Schools to the Registrar’s Office to determine if college credit can be awarded.

Military service personnel and veterans may be admitted as freshmen or transfer students. In addition, they may receive credit for successful completion of college-level military service schools as set forth in the American Council on Education’s “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.”

Back To Top

   Academic Fresh Start Applicant

Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2236
Fax: 325-674-2238

Any undergraduate student who previously attended ACU may request approval for Academic Fresh Start provided at least five years have elapsed since he or she was last enrolled in any college or university. Guidelines and an application for Academic Fresh Start may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office. Approval for Academic Fresh Start must be made before registering in courses.

Academic Fresh Start allows students who previously attended Abilene Christian University to start over and have all previous courses and grades excluded from a new degree program. All previous courses and grades remain on the student’s transcript, but are not counted toward the new degree program, earned hours or GPA.

Back To Top 

Vision in Action

Watch the video above to witness the future of Abilene Christian University taking shape.

Learn more 

Connect with ACU