Academic Information


Definitions and Policies Degree Requirements
Registration Graduation

The information provided in this catalog is subject to change without notice and does not constitute a contract between Abilene Christian University and a student or an applicant for admission. The information in this catalog is current as of April 2007.

For graduate programs, consult the Graduate School section of this catalog.

Definitions and Policies

College Year
Abilene Christian University follows the college calendar set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The college year consists of two 16-week semesters (or terms) and one summer term with sessions ranging in length from three to five weeks.

Enrollment Terms of a College Year
     • Fall – a 16-week term that is completed before the Christmas holidays

     • Spring – a 16-week term that is completed in early May

     • Summer – beginning mid-May and ending before the fall term begins

     • Intensive Courses – courses taught in an intense format within a term (e.g. January, 
       weekends and other courses of variable length that are taught within one of the above terms)

Semester Hour (Credit Hour)
The semester hour (or credit hour) is the basic unit of college credit. The general rule is that a student receives one semester hour of credit for each class hour per week for a semester. However, two or three hours in laboratory, in studio work or in special activity classes may be required for 1 semester hour of credit.

Most classes meet three hours each week and give three semester hours of credit. Students should expect to spend an average of two hours of preparation outside of class for each hour of lecture or discussion in class.

Back To Top

Classification of Students
A student’s classification is determined by the number of semester hours successfully completed toward a degree program:

ClassificationHours Earned
A graduate student is one who has completed a bachelor’s degree and is taking courses toward a graduate degree. A post-graduate student is one who has completed a bachelor’s degree and is not applying courses taken toward a degree. A special undergraduate student is one who is taking courses that do not apply toward an undergraduate degree program at ACU; such students may be taking courses for enrichment or for use on a degree program at another institution.

Full-time and Part-time Status
An undergraduate student must be enrolled for at least 12 hours in fall or spring to be considered a full-time student at ACU. Undergraduate students enrolled in fewer than 12 hours and graduate students with fewer than 9 hours in a long term are classified as part-time unless they are enrolled in student teaching or completing final graduation requirements in fewer than 12 hours. For the summer term, a student must be enrolled in 6 hours to be considered a full-time student.

Academic Integrity
ACU expects its students to practice absolute academic integrity. Plagiarism, cheating and other forms of academic dishonesty are not acceptable at ACU. Students should consult the university’s Academic Integrity Policy (located in the Student Guide , found at for a fuller description of the expectations of students and procedures for dealing with violations of the policy.

Back To Top

Check In
Each semester, all students will be required to check in to verify their attendance at ACU for that semester. Currently, this process occurs electronically during the first week of classes.

Students who fail to check in will be treated as non-attendees and administratively withdrawn for the semester to avoid incurring financial charges. A student who is administratively withdrawn is dropped from all classes, removed from housing and financial aid, and dropped from meal plans.

Class Attendance
ACU expects students to attend and participate in all class and laboratory meetings. Students
must adhere to the policies published in each course syllabus. ACU normally offers classes in
a series of regularly scheduled meetings. The most common patterns are Monday-Wednesday-Friday, Tuesday-Thursday, and once-per-week. Some classes have regularly scheduled laboratories (labs).

Students are responsible for initiating a Withdrawal from Class form for any class that they have never attended or have stopped attending. If students do not initiate a withdrawal form, one of the following actions may be taken:

     • The professor may initiate a withdrawal for a student who has violated the attendance policy
        as stated in the course syllabus. A “W” or “WF” grade will be assigned at the discretion of
        the professor; or

     • The professor may choose not to initiate a withdrawal form and simply assign a grade of “F”
        at the end of the semester.

Faculty who initiate Withdrawal from Class forms must designate whether the student is to receive a “W” or “WF” and provide the last date the student attended the course. After the 12th week of the semester, students may not withdraw from courses; however, a professor may withdraw a student for non-attendance but only with a grade of “WF.”

Withdrawal from a Course
If it becomes necessary to withdraw from a course, the student should visit first with his or her academic advisor and the instructor of the course. The advisor will provide instruction on completing a Withdrawal from Class form. For the refund schedule for withdrawing from a class or from the university, please see Financial Information in this catalog. A withdrawal fee is charged when a student withdraws from a course.

The last day to withdraw from a course is:

     • Friday of the 12th week of a long term;

     • Friday of the third week of the summer term;

     • The corresponding day when 80 percent of the course is completed 
        for other short sessions (ex., May session).

Back To Top

Concurrent Enrollment Policy
ACU students are generally expected to take their courses at ACU. Only in exceptional circumstances may students petition, in advance, to receive credit for a course at another institution during a semester that they are enrolled for courses at ACU. Concurrent enrollment includes correspondence, distance, and on-line courses. Petitions for concurrent enrollment must be approved by the advisor, dean of the student’s major, and the provost.

By government regulations, only courses taken within the intercollege agreement (ACU, Hardin-Simmons and McMurry) and the Patty Hanks Shelton School of Nursing, and other contracted programs that post grades to the ACU transcript, can be accepted for financial aid eligibility. Generally, courses from other colleges or universities will not count as hours enrolled for financial aid eligibility.

Changing or Adding a Major
To officially add or change majors, a student must submit an approved Change of Program request to the Registrar’s Office. Change of Program forms are available in the Registrar’s Office or online at under the “Forms” link.

Final Examinations
Final examinations are given the last four days of each fall/spring term and the last day of each summer term or intensive course. A student with more than three final examinations on one day may petition the dean of his or her major to take a final after the scheduled time.
Final examinations are never given in advance.

Back To Top

Withdrawing from the University
Students who must withdraw from the university or from their last course are required to complete a Withdrawal From the University form in the Campus Life Office. This process must be completed prior to the beginning of final examinations. Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS) students may obtain the form in the BAS Office, and graduate students may obtain the form in the Graduate School Office.

To order an official transcript contact:
Registrar’s Office

Fax: 325-674-2238

All requests for official transcripts must be in writing and bear the signature of the person whose record appears on the transcript.

     • Transcripts will be released to students who are in good standing with the University.

     • Transcripts will be processed only upon the signed request of the student and after all bills
        and “holds” have been cleared.

     • All students who have had a loan, upon leaving ACU, must complete a federally-required exit 
        interview in Student Financial Services before transcripts can be released.

No changes will be made to a student’s transcript after the degree has been posted.

Students may review their course history on the Web via

Back To Top


Undergraduate Course Load
The minimum undergraduate graduation requirement, 128 credit hours, requires the equivalent of eight semesters with a 16-hour load. Intercollege courses are included in the semester course load. Students should consult with their academic advisors to help them determine the appropriate course load.

When students are placed on academic probation, the number of hours for which they may register is determined by their probation contract. Probation contracts are developed and managed by the student’s college dean or, in certain cases, the Office of Career and Academic Development (OCAD).

The general guidelines for determining course load are based on GPA. Nineteen hours is the maximum load that a first-semester student is allowed to carry. After the first semester, the maximum recommended course load, for a regular term, based on GPA is as follows:

GPACourse Load
2.015 hours
2.0 – 2.49916 hours
2.5 – 3.49917-18 hours
3.50 or above19-21 hours

No student may register for more than 21 hours in a fall or spring term. (January intensive courses are included in the spring term course load.)

Summer Term
An undergraduate may take no more than 18 hours during the Summer term. These hours should be distributed as follows:

     • May session – no more than 4 hours

     • Summer I and II sessions – 7 hours per session (no more than 14 hours total)

Students may petition to their dean to take a different combination of hours in Summer I and II (example: 9 and 5). It is recommended that a student have a GPA of at least 3.1 and a limited work load outside of class to be approved for exceptions to the above guidelines.

Back To Top

Academic Advising
Abilene Christian University considers competent academic advising as a vital responsibility in educating its students.

All students matriculating from high school and transfers with fewer than 22 hours credited toward an ACU degree are required to take University Seminar (UNIV 100). The University Seminar instructor serves as the academic advisor for the student’s first semester at ACU.

After the first semester, students who have declared a major are assigned two advisors:

     • A degree plan specialist who assists students with their degree plan, advising release 
       codes, degree evaluations, the graduation process, and other technical aspects of completing
       a degree.

     • A faculty advisor who assists students in developmental goals, internship/research
       opportunities, and program/vocational decisions.

Undeclared students are advised in the Office of Career and Academic Development until they have chosen a major.

Other advising requirements:

     • All freshman, sophomore and undeclared students must meet with their degree plan
       specialist or faculty advisor prior to registering for courses each semester.

     • Students on probation or juniors and seniors with a GPA below 2.5 must meet with their
       degree plan specialist or faculty advisor before registering for courses.

     • Some academic departments may require all students to meet with a degree plan specialist
       or a faculty advisor prior to registering for courses. Check with the department chair or
       degree plan specialist of your major.

     • All students should meet with their faculty advisor at least once a year.

For more information about advising, contact: 
     Office for University Academic Advising
     ACU Box 29104; Abilene, Texas 79699-9104 
     Hardin Administration Building, Room 309
     Phone: 325-674-2212

Back To Top

Enrollment Requirements
Freshmen must enroll in classes in Bible, English, Exercise Science and University Seminar unless they have completed requirements in these areas. Freshmen must enroll in EXSC 100, Lifetime Wellness, in their first fall or spring semester. Students may wait until their sophomore year to begin literature requirements.

Policies applying to freshman students (less than 30 hours that count toward an ACU degree):

     • ENGL 003, 004, 106/006, 107/007 and MATW 019 courses may not be dropped.

     • ENGL 111 or EXSC 100 may not be dropped without a dean’s approval.

     • UNIV 100 may not be dropped or repeated. If a student fails UNIV 100 or is placed on 
       academic probation, he or she must take UNIV 011, which does not count toward hours
       in a degree.

     • Bible courses that are university core requirements may not be dropped.

Full-time undergraduate students may not withdraw from UNIV 100, ENGL 111, EXSC 100, or
any required developmental course without the permission of the appropriate dean or academic director.

Audit Student Enrollment
Students who wish to audit a course should see the chair of the department (of the course) on the first day of class in order to request permission to audit the course. An approved request to audit a course must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by Friday of the second week of the long term or the equivalent date of a summer term or intensive courses. Some courses are not available as audit courses.

The fee for auditing a course is usually $35. However, there are exceptions.

Add/Drop Policy
During the add/drop period there is no penalty for adding or dropping courses. Students may adjust their course schedule during the add/drop period with a full refund of tuition and fees. Courses dropped during this period will not appear on the student’s transcript. Refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates for each term.

Late Registration
Registration ends on Friday of the first week of classes of the fall and spring semesters. Students wishing to register for classes after the first week must complete a Late Add Petition, which must be signed by the course instructor, the student's advisor, and the dean of the college in which the course is taught. A late fee of $10 per course will be assessed for students who add or change classes; a $50 late fee will be charged for students who register for all of their classes after the add/drop period.

During the summer term, students wishing to register for classes after the class begins must complete a Late Add Petition. A late fee of $10 per course will be charged.

Back To Top

Intercollege Enrollment
Office of the Registrar
ACU Box 29141; Abilene, Texas 79699-9141
Hardin Administration Building, Room 207

Phone: 325-674-2235
Fax: 325-674-2238

Students enrolled at ACU may concurrently register for courses at Hardin-Simmons University and McMurry University. The three universities have entered into an agreement whereby students who are matriculated in any one of the universities may register for courses at the other universities. This is especially helpful when a required course is not available at the university where the student is pursuing his or her degree. Courses taken by ACU students through intercollege enrollment count toward degree requirements, provided approval has been secured in advance. It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that courses taken through this arrangement will satisfy his or her individual degree requirements. (Courses taken under the intercollege agreement are not considered as transfer courses.)

Students taking courses through intercollege registration will be charged ACU’s current tuition rate. Billing is handled by the institution in which the student is matriculated. Complete the procedure that follows:

     1. Obtain an Intercollege Enrollment form from the Registrar’s Office.

     2. Secure approval signatures from the student advisor, the department chair of the course,
         Student Financial Services and the Registrar’s Office.

     3. Take the completed form to the Registrar’s Office of the university where the course is
         taught to register.

Students from either Hardin-Simmons University or McMurry University who wish to enroll in ACU hours need to first see the registrar’s office at their institution. Students will receive a form granting permission to take courses at ACU. This form should be brought to the ACU Registrar’s Office, where the student will be processed and registered in the appropriate courses.

Back To Top

Post-Enrollment Transfer Credit
Students who are enrolled at ACU may receive credit for courses taken at another institution, subject to the following restrictions:

     1. Obtain written approval on a Transfer Course Application (TCA) before registering for
         the courses at another institution. The chair of the ACU department that offers the course
         must approve the TCA. If comparability is not established through TCA approval prior to
in the course, the transfer credit may count as elective credit only.

     2. After being classified as a junior, a student may take no more than 6 hours at a two-year
         college, not to exceed 66 hours.

     3. After enrolling at ACU, students must observe the following regulations:

         • Take no more than one general education (University or Degree Core) required course 
            in English and history at another institution.

         • Due to the special nature of some science core curriculum courses (e.g. BIOL 120,
            AENV 130) and the mathematics core curriculum course MATH 120, students may not
            find an equivalent course at another institution.

         • Credit will be posted at the level at which the course was taken.

         • Only courses equivalent to or comparable to those offered by ACU are accepted.

         • Only grades of “C” or higher are accepted for transfer credit.

         • Grades for transfer courses outside of the intercollege agreement are not included
            in the ACU GPA.

         • “Pass/Fail” and “Credit/No-Credit” grades are not accepted for transfer credit.

         • Courses taken at international institutions that are comparable to the U.S. courses
            must be credited in college credit hours.

         • ACU does not offer or accept college credit for vocational/technical training or for
            work force education courses.

         • Evaluation of the transfer intended to meet specific ACU degree requirements is the
            responsibility of the chair of the department offering the comparable course at ACU.

         • Credits will be posted when the official transcript(s) reaches the ACU Registrar’s Office
            from the issuing university.

         • Students must earn their last 24 hours in residence at ACU. (Cooperative degrees are
            an exception.)

         • Students must earn a minimum of 24 semester hours of upper-division work including
            9 hours in the major in residence at ACU.

         • To be eligible to graduate with honors (summa, magna, cum laude), students must have
            completed 64 hours of course work at ACU.

         • Students on academic suspension are ineligible to transfer credit without written approval
            from their academic dean.

Graduate Work for Undergraduate Students
Students within 9 hours of graduation may petition the graduate dean to take up to 6 hours of graduate level course work at ACU for graduate credit. Before registering for graduate courses written approval must be obtained from:

     • the student’s advisor
     • chair of the department in which the course is offered
     • dean of the graduate school

Graduate courses may not be substituted for undergraduate courses nor be applied toward an undergraduate degree.

Back To Top


Grade Definitions and Points
The following grades are used at ACU. The grade point values shown are per semester hour
of credit.

Grade Definitions and Points
Grade MarksGrade MeaningGrade Points
DInferior but passing1.0
IPIn-ProgressNot counted
PPassingNot counted
CRCreditNot counted
NCNo-CreditNot counted
WWithdrewNot counted
WFWithdrew while failing0.0
Students receive grades by accessing Grades are mailed to all first-year freshmen students at their permanent address. Students who have signed and submitted an Education Records Release form have authorized ACU personnel to release academic information, on request, to the person(s) designated on the form by the student. Education Records Release forms are on file in the Registrar’s Office.

Grade Appeals/Grievances
The university has a procedure for dispute resolution. In general, the order of resolution is to begin at the initial level of the dispute. Usually, the student should attempt to resolve the dispute with the professor in question. The student may then go to the department chair who normally resolves all disputes within the department. The student, however, may appeal the department chair’s decision to the college dean, then to the provost whose decision is final.

Back To Top

Incomplete and In-Progress Grades
A grade of “I” (Incomplete) must be removed by the end of the next long term or by the time approved in writing by the instructor; otherwise, it becomes an “F” on the student’s record. The student is responsible for requesting and completing an “I.” (A grade of “I” is calculated in the GPA as an “F.”)

A student who is graduating should finish any incomplete courses prior to the semester in which he or she is graduating.

The grade “IP” (In-Progress) is normally reserved for graduate students in graduate courses. It may be used with special permission for unusual circumstances for an undergraduate student or an undergraduate course. In the event an “IP” is assigned, the student will have the next long term or until the time set in the student’s agreement with the instructor to complete the course work; at the end of the next long term, the grade will become an “I.” At the end of the second long term, the “I” will become an “F.”

Credit/No-Credit Grades (CR/NC)
Undergraduate students who have sophomore standing and a GPA of at least 2.0 may take a limited number of courses on a Credit/No-Credit basis. The purpose of this option is to allow students to take courses that will broaden their educational experiences, with less emphasis on grades and grade points. The following rules apply:

     • A student may request the Credit/No-Credit option in the Registrar’s Office within the first
        two weeks of the fall or spring semester
or within the first two days of a summer
        semester or on the first day of an intensive course (advisor’s signature required). The
        teacher will assign a letter grade at the end of the semester, but a grade of “D” or above
        will be recorded as “CR.”

     • The student receives earned credit hours for a “CR” grade, but the hours are not counted
        in computing the GPA.

     • A maximum of 12 hours may be taken Credit/No-Credit. These must be courses that are
        electives in the student’s degree plan and are outside the major field of study.

     • No course in which a student has received a letter grade may be repeated on the Credit/
        No-Credit basis. Courses offered as “CR/NC” in the course description are not included in
        the maximum hours a student may elect under this option.

Back To Top

Pass/Fail Grades (P/F)
Students may take University Seminar and EXSC activity courses Pass/Fail, except for EXSC 100. Any student who wishes to do so must complete a petition in the Registrar’s Office within the first two weeks of a long term or within the first two days of a summer term. A “Pass” grade is not figured into the GPA. A “Fail” grade counts as an “F.” Other courses may be designated Pass/Fail in the Course Descriptions section of this catalog. Students should be aware that some graduate schools will not accept Pass/Fail grades and/or will automatically count them as a grade of “C.” Some schools will not transfer Pass/Fail grades.

Midterm Grades
During the fall and spring semesters, undergraduate students receive a midterm grade for each course. Midterm grades and their definitions are listed below. Students who receive “unsatisfactory” or “not passing” midterm grades are encouraged to discuss their course problems with the instructor and their advisor as appropriate.

     • S = Satisfactory progress;

     • U= Unsatisfactory progress (assigned to students who in the instructor’s estimation are 
        not doing work equal to their potential);

     • NP = Not Passing.

Repeating a Course
If an undergraduate student repeats a course at ACU, a record of all occurrences of the course
will appear on the transcript but only the most recent grade will be counted in his or her GPA.
No course in which the student has received a letter grade may be repeated on the Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit basis.

Grade Point Average
A student’s grade point average (GPA) is based on courses taken at ACU. It is determined by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of hours attempted (not including hours where grade points are not counted). “Current GPA” is a student’s GPA for a single term; “cumulative GPA” is the overall GPA for all the terms a student has been enrolled in ACU.

To qualify for Latin honors at graduation, a student must have completed 64 hours at ACU (including registered hours) in addition to having the required GPA. Honors are based on the current GPA at the time of commencement. If the final semester’s grades alter the student’s standing, the correct honor will be noted on the diploma.

Calculating Grade Point Average
Quality (Grade) Points ÷ Quality Hours = GPA

A grade point average (GPA) is calculated by using the formula above.

     1. Quality points are hours attempted multiplied by grade points awarded.
         (Refer to the Table of Grade Definitions and Points.)

     2. Quality hours are all hours attempted (including grades of “F,” “WF” and “I”),
         minus ungraded hours (“CR” or “P”).

Back to Top

Deans’ Honor Roll
During any term in which undergraduate students have a current GPA of 3.6 or above and are registered for 12 or more hours with no “F” or “WF” grades, they will be included in the Deans’ Honor Roll for that term.

Academic Standing

Good Standing
Students are in good standing if their cumulative GPA is at least 2.0. A higher GPA is required by some majors for their students. These requirements are specified in the departmental sections of this catalog. Good standing is not noted on the student’s transcript.

Academic Probation
Students are placed on probation following any semester in which their semester GPA is below 1.5 or after which their cumulative GPA is between 1.0 and 1.999.

All freshmen who are placed on probation must enroll in UNIV 011. Students who have already taken UNIV 011 must enroll in UNIV 012 (Student Success Workshop), the 1-hour follow up course. Exceptions to this requirement must be approved by the student’s academic dean. UNIV 011 and 012 do not count toward degree requirements.

Students on academic probation are not permitted to be candidates for or to hold any elected or appointed office, or participate in Study Abroad.

A first-semester student placed in the Student Success Program and enrolled in UNIV 011 whose GPA falls below 2.75 must take UNIV 012 the following semester; however, this student is not placed on academic probation.

Academic Suspension
Students are suspended after any semester in which their cumulative GPA falls below 1.0 or after one semester on probation after which their cumulative does not equal or exceed 2.0. Suspended students are not permitted to apply classes taken at another institution toward a degree at ACU without prior written permission from their academic dean.

Students who have been suspended for academic reasons may apply for re-admission after being out of school for at least one long term. In all cases of academic suspension, the University Undergraduate Re-admission Committee will decide if the student should be re-admitted, and if so, whether special conditions should be required for re-admission. When students are re-admitted after suspension, they are placed on probation for one semester and may not be eligible for some forms of financial aid.

NOTE: Federal regulations governing student financial aid may differ from ACU policy. A student may be eligible to attend ACU on academic probation but be ineligible to receive federal, state or institutional financial aid based upon a lack of satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Consult the Student Financial Services Office.

Back To Top

Degree Requirements

Student Responsibility
This catalog is designed to make planning and scheduling a degree program as simple as possible. Each student at Abilene Christian University should keep in mind, however, that he or she alone is ultimately responsible for understanding and fulfilling all degree requirements. Students are responsible for their own degree plans and for the completion of all requirements for the degrees which they seek.

Catalog Year
The student is expected to meet the requirements in the ACU catalog for the year when the student first enrolled in an accredited college, or the catalog for any subsequent year, provided that not more than six years have elapsed between the student’s first enrollment and graduation. However, the student must satisfy all requirements set forth in the catalog under which he or she graduates. This catalog expires August 2014.

Note that each degree-seeking student must fulfill certain requirement areas:

     1. University Core requirements (including additional requirements based on high school
         science and foreign language)

     2. Degree Core requirements

     3. Departmental Core or special requirements (if specified in the catalog)

     4. Major requirements (including supplements)

     5. Electives (to achieve minimum upper division and total hour requirements)

Back To Top

Admission to Major

     1. Curriculum and Instruction majors should apply for admission to the Teacher Education
         Program with the Department of Curriculum and Instruction during the second semester of
         their sophomore year, or near the end of their first semester at ACU if they are transfer
         students. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.70 for admission into this program.

     2. Social work and nursing majors must also apply for admission to upper-division programs.
         (See department sections of this catalog.)

     3. See the appropriate departmental section for information on admission to a specific major.

General Requirements for Associate Degree

     1. The associate degree requires a minimum of 64 semester hours applicable to that degree.

     2. A cumulative grade point (GPA) of at least 2.0 on courses from ACU is required.

     3. A minimum of 32 semester hours applicable to the degree must be completed at ACU.

     4. Admitted students who have not earned at least two high school units of the same foreign
         language and at least one high school unit each of two different sciences such as biology,
         chemistry, physics, environmental science, anatomy and physiology or any of the approved
         sciences listed under Chapter 74 Curriculum Requirements, Subchapter A, Required
         Curriculum and Subchapter B, Graduate Requirements of the Texas Education Agency, will
         have an admissions deficiency. A science subscore of 27 or higher on the ACT will also
         satisfy the high school science requirement. Admission deficiencies may be removed as
         prescribed in the section on general education requirements.

     5. Latin honors are not awarded for the Associate Degree.

Back To Top

General Requirements for Bachelor’s Degrees
Graduation requirements include University General Education requirements (made up of the University Core and the Degree Core), major requirements (departmental requirements) and electives. To determine the number of hours required for a given degree in any major, add the University Core requirements, the Degree Core requirements (BA, BBA, BFA, BM, BS, BSN), the major requirements and electives, which may be adjusted to reach the minimum number of hours required for the degree sought. The BAS has its unique general education and other degree requirements.

     1. All degrees from ACU require a minimum of at least 128 semester hours applicable to that
         degree. Teacher certification and certain other degrees may require more. (See specific
         degree requirements.)

     2. Each degree requires a major of at least 30 hours in addition to the University Core
         requirements and the Degree Core requirements.

     3. A minimum of 18 hours in the major field must be upper division hours, and at least 9 of
         these upper division hours must be taken at ACU.

     4. The University Core requirement is 41 hours for all degrees other than the BAS, BFA, BM,
         BSN, for teacher certification and cooperative degrees.

     5. The specific Degree Core (BA, BBA, BFA, BM, BS, BSN) requirement will be from 15 to 27
         hours (see the specific degree).

     6. The maximum hours for a single major field is stated in the guidelines for each degree.

     7. No minor is required by the university. However, the major field may require a minor or
         supporting courses outside the major. Many departments offer minors of at least 18 hours,
         and a student may elect to add a minor to any degree. Minors have specific requirements
         (see the appropriate departmental section of this catalog or the departmental advisor for
         approved minors).

     8. Admitted students who have not earned at least two high school units of the same foreign
         language and at least one high school unit each of two different sciences, biology,
         chemistry, physics, environmental science, anatomy and physiology or any of the
         approved sciences listed under Chapter 74 Curriculum Requirements, Subchapter A,
         Required Curriculum and Subchapter B, Graduation Requirements of the Texas Education
         Agency, will have an admission deficiency. A science subscore of 27 or higher on the ACT
         will also satisfy the high school science requirement. Admission deficiencies may be
         removed as prescribed in the section on general education requirements.

     9. Most degree plans include a minimum of 6 semester hours of electives. However, deficiency
         in entrance requirements in foreign language or science may count as elective hours. Such
         courses may count toward the hours required for the degree.

    10. All courses numbered 0**, including English as Second Language (FLEN) courses, do not
         count toward hours required for a degree.

    11. No more than 4 hours of exercise science activity courses (EXSC 100 and three additional
         activity classes) may count toward graduation.

    12. At least 25 percent of the semester hours required for the degree sought must 
         be taken in residence at ACU including the last 24 hours.

    13. A minimum of 33 hours of upper division, i.e. advanced (300-499) work, is required, 24 of
         which must be taken in residence, including 9 in the major field.

    14. No more than 18 hours (and no upper division hours in a student’s major field) taken by
         correspondence may count toward graduation.

    15. An overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on courses from ACU is required for
         the BA and BS. An overall GPA of at least 2.25 is required for the BFA, BM and BSN. A
         cumulative GPA of at least 2.70 is required for all teacher certificate programs. Specific
         majors and colleges may have GPA requirements above these stated minimums.

    16. Each student will be required to take a course designated “Writing-Intensive” in his or her
         major field. Writing-Intensive courses integrate instruction and practice in writing into
         upper-level content courses to assist students in becoming effective writers in a specific
         discipline. Students should contact their advisor to determine the correct Writing-Intensive
         course for their major.

Back To Top

Double Major
Sometimes it is possible to meet the requirements for two majors in one degree (BS, BA, BBA, etc.). To complete a double major, a student must meet the degree requirements for both majors. To do so may require more than 128 credit hours.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

     • Current students who wish to complete majors in two different degrees (eg. BS and BA,
        etc.) must complete at least 24 credit hours beyond requirements for the first degree (at
        least 152 hours) and must meet all general education and major field requirements for the
        second degree.

     • Previously degreed students who have been awarded a previous baccalaureate degree
        and pursue a second baccalaureate degree must complete at least 24 credit hours beyond
        requirements for the first degree (at least 152 hours) and must meet all general education
        and major field requirements for the second degree. This applies to students who received
        their first degree from ACU, as well as those who received degrees from other schools.

Composite Interdisciplinary Degree
An individualized composite interdisciplinary major may be approved for a student whose life and career goals will be served by such a major. The student must work with the appropriate academic advisor(s) and director of curriculum to design the degree plan, which will include the appropriate University and Degree Core requirements. The director of curriculum will then assign a primary advisor to work with the student (see Composite Interdisciplinary Degree Program for additional details).

Back To Top

Pre-Professional and Cooperative Degree Programs
Abilene Christian University offers several pre-professional programs. In general, the student attends ACU for one to four years and then transfers to a professional school to complete the degree. (For more information, see the appropriate departmental sections of this catalog.)

Pre-law may also be considered a pre-professional degree, but there is no mandatory course of study for pre-law students. The Association of American Law Schools suggests the following basic skills and insights be developed by pre-legal education: comprehension and expression in words, critical understanding of the human institutions and values with which the law deals, and creative power in thinking. The self-discipline and study habits required in law school should be developed in undergraduate courses. Students are urged to consult the pre-law advisor for more specific information.

Cooperative degree programs require students to do part of their work at ACU and part at a professional school, and the students may receive a degree from ACU and from the other school. For example, the pre-medical cooperative degree permits a student to spend three years at ACU and then to receive a bachelor’s degree from ACU after completing the first year in medical school.

For more information about any of these degree programs, contact the Admissions Office or the appropriate academic advisor.

Minors at ACU
For most majors at ACU a minor is optional. The minimum requirements for a minor are 18 credit hours with a minimum of 6 advanced hours. See the appropriate section of the catalog for specific details on a particular minor.

Back To Top



Preparing to Graduate

     • Each fall, students with more than 90 hours will receive an Intent to Graduate card.
        This card will allow the student to communicate their expected date of graduation to
        the Registrar’s Office.

     • During the semester before graduation, students should run an on-line Degree Evaluation
        and visit with their advisor about the schedule for their last semester.

     • Students should submit all CLEP tests and transcripts for transfer work before their
        last semester.

     • Students who do not complete graduation requirements in the semester for which they
        intended to graduate must declare a new graduation date with the Registrar’s Office.

     • All holds on a student account must be removed before the student may purchase a gown
        and mortar board.

Graduation with Latin Honors
Honors designated at commencement are based on the student’s cumulative GPA and the number of hours earned at ACU by the end of the previous semester and are subject to change. In order to qualify for honors, baccalaureate students must complete at least 64 earned hours at ACU. Students whose averages are at least 3.6 graduate cum laude (with honor), 3.75 graduate magna cum laude (with high honor), and 3.9 graduate summa cum laude (with highest honor). Courses taken Credit/No-Credit or Pass/Fail do not count toward GPA requirements for honors.

Back To Top

Vision in Action

Watch the video above to witness the future of Abilene Christian University taking shape.

Learn more 

Connect with ACU