Class 3A, Region I One-Act Play Contest
IMPORTANT: Advancing Plays must be certified online no later than midnight, April 20, 2015!
1 A 1. Amarillo: Highland Park, River Road; Childress; Sanford-Fritch; Spearman
1 A 2. Dimmitt; Friona; Littlefield; Muleshoe; Shallowater; Tulia
1 B 3.Brownfield; Denver City; Idalou; Lubbock: Roosevelt; Post; Slaton
1 B 4. Alpine; Crane; Kermit; Presidio; Tornillo
2 A 5. Big Lake: Reagan County; Coahoma; Colorado City: Colorado; Sonora; Stanton
2 A 6. Ballinger; Merkel; San Angelo: Grape Creek, TLC Acad.; Tuscola: Jim Ned; Wall
2 B 7. Bangs; Brady; Coleman; Comanche; Early
2 B 8. Breckenridge; Cisco; Clyde; Dublin; Eastland
Abilene Christian University
ACU Box 27916
Abilene, TX 79699
Office Phone: 325-674-6943
1021 5th Street
Rule TX 79547
Cell: (outside Rule) 325-280-0035
Assistant Stage Manager
Benjamin High School
April 24, 2015
Naoma Huff Performing Arts Center
Clyde High School
500 Hays Road
Clyde, TX 79510
Directors of Naoma Huff Performing Arts Center - 325-893-2161
- Gregg Wilson, Principal - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simon Guerrero, Assistant Principal - email@example.com
View auditorium logistics:
To find your way around campus, print out a Clyde High School campus map.
Family and fans, please use the south door of Auditorium.
One-time admission to the One-Act Play Performances will be $8 for adults and $5 for students. Please ask your patrons to present bills no larger than $50.
Directors and company members (cast, crew, and alternates) and bus drivers participating in the Regional One-Act Play Contest will not be charged an admission fee, if you have your pass to show the gatekeeper.
There will be three adult performance timers and a music timer. The Stage Manager will also time backstage.
Critic Judge Panel
Mariana Meaders - 7406 Williams - Houston, Texas 77040
Jim Mammarella - 103 Avenida del Sol - San Antonio, Texas 78232
Josh Blann - 4612 Vista Meadows Drive - Fort Worth, Texas 76244
- Dressing areas will be assigned as soon as possible. The dressing rooms will be classrooms located a few steps from the backstage left entrances.
- Because it will be a normal school day at Clyde, please be quiet in approaching and leaving dressing rooms during rehearsal and contest.
- Place one responsible company member in charge of all valuables. Clyde HS cannot be held responsible for articles left in dressing rooms.
- To save time, the Contest Manager will meet with the directors and companies in the dressing rooms prior to technical rehearsal, to get acquainted, take care of paperwork, and to address any concerns
- Only the casts and crews will be allowed in the dressing room areas, except for the usual Clyde HS student hall traffic between classes.
- Leave dressing rooms clean after use. Directors will be asked to sign a form, agreeing that his or her company will leave the dressing room in the same condition as it was upon initially entering.
- Directors will be asked to sign a form, agreeing to leave his/her dressing room in the same condition as it was upon initially entering.
Clyde High School Auditorium (NHPAC)
Friday, April 24, 2015
7:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- If there is any question or concern, the latest edition of the One-Act Play Handbook will be consulted.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled rehearsal times at the west backstage door of the NHPAC to receive dressing room assignments and take care of paper work.
- You are required to bring the following items to rehearsal before you will be allowed to rehearse. The contest manager will collect and check them prior to your rehearsal:
- 1. Entry Fee (payable to ACU) - $600 per school
- 2. Original Marked Script (not a photocopy) showing parts being performed and marked with music cues. This is in addition to the scripts you will send to the three judges.
- 3. Proof of Publisher's permission to produce, unless the play is in public domain.
- 4. Proof of Payment of Royalty, unless the play is in public domain.
- 5. Proof of UIL Special Approval (i.e. Additions to the basic set, etc.), if required.
- 6. Music Log. (You must use the online form at the UIL Drama website.)
- 7. Community Standards Compliance Form, signed by an administrator.
Order of Rehearsals - according to distance from Clyde, nearest school rehearsing first.
(Please arrive and unload at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled rehearsal time.)
- 6:50-7:45 a.m. – Clyde – Ruth Knightstep
- 7:50-8:45 a.m. – Cisco – Bethney Jacobs
- 8:55-9:50 a.m. – Sonora – Sara B. Hogan
- 9:55-10:50 a.m. – Brownfield – Jacob Lierma
- 11:00-11:55 a.m. – Denver City – Lisa Landry
- 12:00- 12:55 p.m. – Tulia – Vivian Bennett
Rehearsal times are limited to 55 minutes, including setting, spiking, and striking.
- Any approved communication devices or special lights must be made available to all companies before the first rehearsal.
- Cell phones may not be used as company communication devices.
- Bring your communication devices, even though Clyde HS may have some available.
- On-site personnel will be provided to assist with lights and sound.
- The contest manager (Bobby Robinson) should be notified of all forfeits or possible conflicts. 940-997-2156
- HOUSE LIGHTS will be controlled from the booth by your crew.
- STAGE WORK LIGHTS will be operated by your crew from BACKSTAGE left or right.
- You may gain entrance to your dressing room upon arrival at Clyde HS.
- Auditorium and stage will clear of all persons other than rehearsing company, including other school personnel and members of other schools. You will have the auditorium to yourselves during rehearsal.
- Carry hand props to and from rehearsal. Do not leave them on or near the stage.
DIRECTORS MEETING will begin at 1:00 on Friday, April 24, 2015 in the Band Hall. Please be ON TIME.
Date of Draw: September 2, 2014
|"By The Bog of Cats"|
|"We All Fall Down"|
|"The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui"|
Denver City HS
|"The Sins of Sor Juana"|
Technical Rehearsal order will be scheduled by the contest manager according to distance from Clyde HS - closest first, farthest last - whether a school spends the night locally on Thursday night or chooses to drive in that morning from its hometown.
Shows will run back to back.
This sequence will be followed by the Assistant Contest Manager (ACM) and Contest Stage Manager (CSM):
- A contest staff member will call you and escort you to the rear stage door.
- After previous company has departed, the CSM will call you to enter.
- Take positions, then CSM will call your set.
- After your set, the Director(s) will exit to the house.
- Stage work lights OUT and Contest Manager will announce your show, then enter the House.
- CSM calls Light Cue to GO to BLACKOUT.
- CSM turns the show over to your Stage Manager.
- Your SM takes over to call your show to the end.
- After your production, the CM, Director(s), and your Technicians return backstage.
- CSM will call your strike.
- Following strike, the Contest Staff will resume their responsibilities.
- Please be orderly in the dressing room.
- Once in costume and makeup, do not leave dressing rooms until called.
- Do not enter auditorium in costume and makeup during other performances - no exceptions.
- Observe all possible productions of other schools.
- No one may enter while a performance is in progress.
- Load out following the final show, with that show being first, and continuing in reverse order of presentation.
- Please have a couple of company members return to the stage to help pull up your spike tape while the judge is deliberating.
Awards will be presented about 45-60 minutes following the end of the final show. The two winning plays will advance to the State Meet at McCullough Theatre on the campus of The University of Texas in Austin on Tuesday May 26, 2015!
For information on the State meet, please visit: http://www.uiltexas.org/theatre/state
The judges’ critiques will follow after the announcement of awards, according to distance from Clyde - furthest first - with the two advancing plays being critiqued last, as usual, even if schools are spending the night in Abilene.
- We would appreciate your limiting your in-house celebrations and ask you to please move revelry to the foyer.
- All participating company members should remain throughout the entire critique.
- Anyone interested may attend the critiques.
- Critiques should last 10 minutes each (four non-advancing plays) to 20-25 minutes each (two advancing plays).