Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Direct Loan Program
Complete a Master Promissory Note
The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). Unless your school does not allow more than one loan to be made under the same MPN, you can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years.
The entire MPN process must be completed in a single session, so be sure you have enough time before you start. Each MPN takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Before you begin this this process, you will need the following information:
- Your FSA ID
- Your social security number and birthdate
- Two references including their address and phone numbers
To complete the MPN process:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov.
- Sign in using your social security number and your FSA ID (the same ID used when completing the FAFSA).
- Click on the “Complete the Master Promissory Note” link on the homepage.
- Select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” link.
- Complete and review each section before going to the next.
- Make sure you open and read sections C through G. Check the box at the end to acknowledge that you have reviewed these sections.
- In the “Review and Sign” section, enter your name and click “sign.”
- You MUST select “Review Master Promissory Note” PRIOR to clicking “submit” or your MPN will not be accepted.
- Your MPN is not complete and accepted unless you receive the “Congratulations” message.