Facilities and Campus Management
"You are the Lord, you alone; you have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. To all of them you give life, and the host of heaven worships you." Nehemiah 9:6
Parking Lot Asphalt Recycling
ACU recycles existing base and asphalt from parking lots in new parking lot spaces.
- Campus Center/Bible Building parking lot used for new parking lot which saved 1450 cubic yards of asphalt from going into the landfill.
- Mabee/Edwards Halls parking lot used for new parking lot which saved 1450 cubic yards from going into the landfill.
Environmentally Friendly Asphalt
Environmentally friendly asphalt called AEP, which uses a water base instead of kerosene, is used for paving parking lots and keeps kerosene, a toxic chemical, from being introduced into our environment.
Lighting Fixture Retrofit
- ACU replaced standard ballasts in florescent light fixtures with new electronic ballasts. The new ballasts produce less heat which reduces the heat output into the rooms.
- ACU installed smaller more efficient bulbs to save approximately 1.2 million kWh per year in electrical usage
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) Energy Savings Initiatives
ACU saves approximately 3.6 million kWh per year in electricity by reducing the amount of water pumped into each building in order to heat or cool them.
Other energy saving initiatives
- Replaced old style water pumps with Variable Speed Pumps
- Replaced standard drives with Variable Frequency Drives
- Installed digital controls in place of pneumatic
- Installed the TRANE operating system.
ACU uses energy efficient metal halide outdoor fixtures which saves many kWh per year over standard exterior lighting.
Campus Drain System
A natural bacterium, rather than detergents, is introduced into the campus drain system to control a grease buildup in the lines.
Maintenance has replaced many pickup trucks and vans with “Gators” and electric carts. This has saved over 3,170 gallons of gasoline per year and has reduced oil consumption. These vehicles produce very low emissions as compared to full-size vehicles.
Used oil from maintenance vehicles is collected and recycled saving 425 gallons per year from going into waste disposal.
Water-based paint is used wherever possible instead of oil-based paint. All unneeded paints and stains, approximately 55 gallons per year, are picked up by a licensed hazardous material disposal company for proper disposal.
All unneeded chemicals from the academic, maintenance and grounds departments are disposed of by a licensed hazardous material disposal company.
By using water-saving shower heads and toilets we reduce the amount of fresh water we would use each year over traditional units.
Vacuum Cleaner Filters
HEPA filters are used on the residence hall vacuum cleaners to help control airborne particles from being reintroduced into the air.