Charles D. Pruett, Ph.D.
Director of Pruett Gerontology Center
- Spirituality and aging
- Social support in later life
- Adult development in later life
- Clergy and Retirement: An Exploratory Study of Role Transition. Presented at the Southwestern Social Sciences Association in New Orleans, LA on March 29, 2013. This presentation was given along with Suzie Macaluso of ACU.
- Social Work Students Attitude about Aging. Presented at the Southwestern Social Sciences Association in New Orleans, LA on March 29, 2013. The presentation was given along with Alan Lipps of ACU and Keri White of ACU.
- Creating Opportunity for Faculty and Student Scholarship in Aging through Community Partnerships. Presented at the Southwestern Social Sciences Association in New Orleans, LA March 30, 2013. This was a panel consisting of myself, Tom Winter, Alan Lipps, Wayne Paris of the ACU School of Social Work, and two ACU students. The panel discussed our cooperative efforts which have resulted in the production of scholarly work for students and faculty.
- You and Your Aging Parent: Developing Healthy Communication with Aging Parents. Presented at the Texas Council on Family Relations in Austin, TX on April 5, 2013. This presentation discussed issues which hinder communication with aging parents and suggested a model for healthy communication.
- Clergy and Retirement: Developing a Conceptual Framework. Presented at the Southwestern Social Sciences Association in San Diego, CA on April 5, 2012. This presentation was a national survey of ministers which followed an earlier pilot study of ministers in Texas. Presented was a conceptual framework for those who choose to study in this area.
- A Comparison of the Religious Habits and Preferences of Boomers and Millennials. Presented at The American Society on Aging. San Francisco, CA, April 27, 2011. This presentation was given along with James Knapp of Southeastern Oklahoma State University.
- A Sociological Perspective of Good, Bad, and Ugly Behavior. Presented at the West Texas Conference on Aging. Midland, TX, March 3, 2011.
- The Santa Clara Strength of Religious Faith Index: An Application Using Boomers and Pre-Boomers. With James Knapp. Southwestern Social Sciences Association. Denver, CO, 2009
- Clergy and Retirement: An Exploratory Study on Housing and Financial Preparedness. With James Knapp and Jennifer Hicks of Southeastern Oklahoma State University. Journal of Religion, Spirituality & Aging. Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 1-13, 2009.
- White Hair White Harvest. Abundant Living Magazine, Volume 3, number 1, 2009
- Texas Silver-Haired Legislature, Board Member
- Association for Gerontology for Higher Education
- American Society of Aging
- The American Gerontological Society
- Sigma Phi Omega, Faculty Sponsor
Dr. Charlie D. Pruett is the Director of the Pruett Gerontology Center and advisor for the gerontology academic program at Abilene Christian University. He is a tenured Associate Professor of Gerontology in the College of Education and Human Services. Pruett holds a Ph.D. from the University of North Texas in Sociology with an emphasis in medical sociology and gerontology. He also holds the Master of Science in Gerontology and Bachelor of Science in Christian Ministry from ACU. His dissertation investigated the influence of religion on mental health in later life. He has been with Abilene Christian University since 1992.
Dr. Pruett is a member of several professional societies on aging such as the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education and Gerontological Society of America. His area of research interests include spirituality and aging, social support in later life, and adult development in later life. He is actively involved in consultation to community organizations. He has been published in scientific journals and has made several presentations at professional conferences. Pruett offers an exceptional perspective on aging for the individual, family, community agencies, and church communities. Pruett is the father of three children and is a grandfather of six beautiful grandchildren.
ACU ranks 3rd among the 35 Best Value Christian Colleges with a CSWE-accredited Social Work Program in 2015. Read more