Alan J. Lipps, LPC, LMSW
Associate Professor of Social Work
Areas of scholarship/expertise
- Substance Abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Mental Health
- Lipps, A. & White, K. Knowledge of Aging, Job Satisfaction, and Patient Morale in Long-Term Care: The Social Work Role. Presented at the National Association of Social Workers Texas Annual Conference, Austin, Texas.
- Lipps, A. (2013). What is This thing Called Social Science? In K. Cukrowski (Ed.). Cornerstone Textbook. Abilene Christian University iBook.
- Winter, T., Paris, W., Pruett, C. D., White, K. Reeger, J. & Lipps, A. (2013). Creating Opportunities for Faculty and Student Scholarship in Aging through Community Partnerships. Panel Discussion Presented at the Southwestern Association of Social Sciences Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisianna.
- Lipps, A. J. & Crossman, M. (2012). Social Work Students Attitudes about Aging. Paper presented at the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education's 39th Annual Meeting and Educational Leadership Conference. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Lipps, A. J. & Preiss, K. (2012). Faculty Mentoring Students in Evidence-Based-Practice. Workshop presented at the North American Association of Christians in Social Work 62nd Convention 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Lipps, A. J. & Crossman, M. (2012). Social Work Students Attitudes about Aging. Poster presented at the North American Association of Christians in Social Work 62nd Convention 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- NASW-Texas Branch Chairs (October, 2011). So You Want to Be A Branch Chair? Roundtable Discussion. Presented at the 2011 National Association of Social Workers/Texas Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas.
- Lipps, A. J., & Searcy, V. (October, 2011). The Evidence-Based Curriculum and University/Social Service Agency Partnerships. 2011 National Association of Social Workers/Texas Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas.
- Lipps, A. J., & Hamm, S. J. (2011). Teaching the Logic, Process, and Skills Required for Evidence-Based-Practice. Presented at the Council on Social Work Education, 57th Annual Program Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Lipps, A. J., Moran, A., & Wallander, A. (2011). Using Problem-Based Learning to Teach Practice and Program Evaluation. Workshop presented at North American Association of Christians in Social Work 60th Convention 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- National Association of Social Workers
- North American Association of Christian Social Workers
Originally from: Brownsville, Texas
Work of literature, art or music you would recommend: Iliad and Odyssey by Homer
Why you do what you do: I want to be the best that I can be and doing this seems to be what I do best.
What you want to give your students: An A+. My hope is that I can give students love, hope, joy, peace and understanding.
What you expect from your students: I expect students to try hard--to strive for perfection, but be content with imperfection and to be who God created them to be.
Why you are at ACU: ACU is a great university, a good place to work and a place that allows me to develop and use my idiosyncratic set of gifts.
- Wife: Lilia C. Lipps
- No human children but 4 dogs:
- Tiger, Rigel, Hercules and Goodness Gracious (GiGi)
Outside interests include dog care and training, fishing, chemistry, biology, physics, animal science