Stephanie Hamm, M.S.W., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Social Work
B.S.W., Abilene Christian University
- Hamm, Stephanie, Self Care, Communities in Schools, Abilene, TX, June 2013
- Hamm, Stephanie. The Effect of a Diversity Course on Student Cultural Competence. North American Christians in Social Work. St. Louis, MO. 2012
- Lipps, Alan & Hamm, Stephanie. Teaching the Logic, Process, and Skills Required for Evidence-Based-Practice. CSWE Annual Program Meeting. Atlanta, GA. October 27-30, 2011
- Hamm, Stephanie & Allison, Steve. Implementing and Assessing a Graduate Level Psychotherapeutic Experiential Group. North American Association of Christians in Social Work. Pittsburg, PA. October 20-23, 2011
- Hamm, Stephanie, Case Management for CIS, Communities in Schools, Abilene, TX August 2011
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Social Workers
- North American Christians in Social Work
Originally from: Springfield, Massachusetts, but raised in Wichita Falls, Texas
Areas of scholarship or interest: Practitioner perceptions of evidence-based practice, diversity/cultural competence/multiculturalism, higher education/learning styles, feminism
Courses typically taught: Micro Practice, Macro Practice, diversity, human behavior, advanced standing summer seminar
Published work: Book review of From Welfare to Workfare: the Unintended Consequences of Liberal Reform
Works of literature, art or music I would recommend: I really enjoy fiction literature from female authors of varying cultures, as well as fiction with a mental health theme. Favorites are Amy Tan & Alice Walker (Possessing the Secret of Joy is my all-time favorite, so far!), for example. Cane River by Tadimy is one of my favorites. Also Wally Lambs She’s Come Undone and I Know This Much is True are great. I enjoy the classics. I also love theatre--plays and musicals.
People who influenced my life: My family has influenced me to be in the mental health field. My mother has never stopped encouraging me to be and do what I am driven to do. Many people contribute to my spiritual development! Individuals at ACU influenced me, spiritually, academically and professionally.
Why I do what I do: I want to be a positive influence on ACU social work students. I want to continue learning about the field of social work and cultures different from my own (as well as my own). I want to be a wonderful spouse to my husband and mother to my children.
What I want to give my students: 1) Confidence to practice that comes from being effectively equipped. 2) An example of someone who is fully social worker and fully Christian, without compromise on either end.
What I expect from my students: Their best.
Why I am at ACU: Because ACU has provided a good education for me in the past. And I want to be apart of a team of educators who care about students.
Outside interests: When I am in shape, sports! Also, painting, ministries to women (Come before Winter), taking pictures and time with my family and friends.