Rob Byrd, Ed.D., Associate Professor of Information Technology
Office: 264 Mabee Business Building
Degrees, Licenses & Certificates:
- Ed.D., Educational Administration, Emphasis in Organizational Leadership, University of Louisville, (2002) Dissertation Topic: Values-Leadership Congruence and Internet Surveying.
- M.S., Mathematics, Concentration in Computer Science Creighton University, Omaha, Neb. (1992).
- Military Instructor, U.S. Air Force Instructor School (1986).
- Navigator, U.S. Air Force Flight School, Mather Air Force Base, Calif. (1984).
- B.S., Mathematics, Minor in Physics, Harding University, Searcy, Ark. (1981).
- Web Development
- Cyber Security
- System Integration and Administration
- Introduction to Information, Technology and Computing
- Managing Technical Projects
- Network and Security Administration
- Database Administration
- Cyber Security
- Academic Pedagogies and Assessment
- Web Technologies
Professional and Organizational Memberships:
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association of Old Crows (defense electronics & information ops industry)
- Air Force Association
- National Rifle Association
- Phi Kappa Phi (national honor society for all disciplines - top 10% of doctoral class)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (national honor society for computer scientists)
Achievements and Awards:
- Departmental Teacher of the Year 2013-2014
- Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence, American Society for Quality, Cert#: 05492 (Since 2000)
- Listed in the September 2005 issue of Who's Who Among America's Teachers
Representative Research Publications/Presentations:
- Byrd, R. R., & Beier, M. "Web Programming Curriculum: What Changes, What Remains the Same Over Time", WorldComp'14 World Congress on Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing: Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science, Las Vegas, NV, July 20 – 24, 2014.
- Byrd, R. R. “Optimizing teaching and learning through the appropriate use of learning management systems,” Southwest Teaching and Learning Journal, Fall 2012, Volume 2, Number 1.
- Byrd, R. R. “Using appropriate e-learning systems to optimize teaching and learning”, Journal on Computing, October 2012, Volume 2, Number 3.
- Byrd, R. R. “Accrediting online programs in computing disciplines ”, WorldComp'12 World Congress on Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing: Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science, Las Vegas, NV, July 16 – 19, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Accredited online programs: Is that possible?”, 2012 ABET Symposium, St Louis, MO, April 21, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Developing an online or hybrid course using Moodle”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, March 20, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Optimizing teaching and learning through the use of appropriate content management systems”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, March 20, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Using the cloud and virtual machines to teach IT integration”, 2011 Innovative Professor Conference, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, TN, November 8, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Transferring information technology and epistemological concepts across disciplines”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 3, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Ontologies in the school: Managing information and creating organizational intelligence”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Mobile learning with Moodle”, Innovative Professor Conference, Austin Peay State University, November 8, 2010.
- Byrd, R. R. “Does the early bird get the worm?: Analyzing response patterns for quizzes and assignments”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference Proceedings, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, System Center San Antonio (TAMUK-SA), March 27-28, 2009 Available on: http://orglearn.com/research/early_bird_patterns2009.pdf
- Byrd, R. R., & Marr, J. (January 2009.) “Realtime attendance,” Moodle Modules and Plugins Repository, http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2100&filter=1
- Byrd, R., "The Argument for Open," Campus Technology Magazine, November 2008. Available online: http://campustechnology.com/articles/2008/11/the-argument-for-open.aspx?sc_lang=en
- Byrd, R., & Balaji, R. "Real Time 2-D Face Detection Using Color Ratios and K-Mean Clustering," ACMSE 2006 Conference Proceedings, Melbourne, FL: ACM Press. March 2006.
- Moore, B., Byrd, R., & Leibfreid, T. (2005). Data Management Plan for the Cumberland Piedmont Network and Mammoth Cave National Park Prototype Monitoring Program, Ft Collins, CO: National Park Service. Available on-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/datamgmt/docs/DMPlans/CUPN_MACA_DMP_20050930.pdf
- Woodman, R.L., Helf, K.L., Moore, W.J. & Byrd, R.R. (2005). "Cave cricket monitoring protocol for Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky," National Park Service, Mammoth Cave Prototype Monitoring Program, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA. Available On-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor/protocols/MACA-CaveCricket.pdf