Rob Byrd, Ed.D., Associate Professor of Information Technology
Office: 252 Mabee Business Building
Degrees, Licenses & Certificates:
- Ed.D., Educational Administration, Emphasis in Organizational Leadership, University of Louisville, (2002) Dissertation Topic: Values-Leadership Congruence and Internet Surveying.
- M.S., Mathematics, Concentration in Computer Science Creighton University, Omaha, Neb. (1992).
- Military Instructor, U.S. Air Force Instructor School (1986).
- Navigator, U.S. Air Force Flight School, Mather Air Force Base, Calif. (1984).
- B.S., Mathematics, Minor in Physics, Harding University, Searcy, Ark. (1981).
- Web Development.
- Programming II & Data Structures.
- Computer Organization and Single-user Systems.
- Operating Systems.
- Object-oriented Design.
- Software and Application Architectures.
- Database Management Systems.
- Research Methods.
- Special Topics: Computer Vision.
- Data quality.
- Face recognition and detection.
- Knowledge management.
- Business intelligence.
- iPhone pedagogies with Moodle.
Professional and Organizational Memberships:
- Association for Computing Machinery.
- Association of Old Crows (defense electronics & information ops industry).
- Phi Kappa Phi (national honor society for all disciplines - top 10% of doctoral class).
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (national honor society for computer scientists).
Achievements and Awards:
- iPhone Connections Fellow grant to research pedagogies and applications for iPhone use in the classroom (Fall 2008).
- Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence, American Society for Quality, Cert#: 05492 (Since 2000).
- $80,000 grant from Department of Homeland Security for face recognition and tracking (Summer 2005).
- Listing in the September 2005 issue of Who's Who Among America's Teachers.
Representative Research Publications/Presentations:
- Byrd, R., "The Argument for Open," Campus Technology Magazine, November 2008. Available online: http://campustechnology.com/articles/2008/11/the-argument-for-open.aspx?sc_lang=en
- Byrd, R., & Balaji, R. "Real Time 2-D Face Detection Using Color Ratios and K-Mean Clustering," ACMSE 2006 Conference Proceedings, Melbourne, FL: ACM Press. March 2006.
- Moore, B., Byrd, R., & Leibfreid, T. (2005). Data Management Plan for the Cumberland Piedmont Network and Mammoth Cave National Park Prototype Monitoring Program, Ft Collins, CO: National Park Service. Available on-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/datamgmt/docs/DMPlans/CUPN_MACA_DMP_20050930.pdf
- Woodman, R.L, Thomas, S.C., Moore, W.J. & Byrd, R.R. (2005). "A Protocol for Monitoring Allegheny Woodrats (Neotoma magister) at Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky," National Park Service, Mammoth Cave Prototype Monitoring Program, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA. Available on-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor/protocols/MACAWoodrat.zip
- Woodman, R.L., Helf, K.L., Moore, W.J. & Byrd, R.R. (2005). "Cave cricket monitoring protocol for Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky," National Park Service, Mammoth Cave Prototype Monitoring Program, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA. Available On-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor/protocols/MACA-CaveCricket.pdf
- Byrd, R.R. (2003). "Enduring principles of teaching technical disciplines in the 21st century," Available on-line: http://www.mtsu.edu/~itconf/proceed03/94.html. Also available via ERIC database at http://search.epnet.com/ ERIC Number: ED479240
- Byrd, R.R. (2002). Exploring internet survey techniques: A study of values-leadership style congruence Doctoral dissertation, University of Louisville, Dissertation Abstracts International, November 2002. ISBN: 0-493-70427-2. Available on-line: http://www.lib.umi.com/dissertation/fullcit/3054212
- Byrd, R.R. (2001). "Exploring ... the Scholarship of Teaching, Vol. 3, Appropriate Methods: Teaching in the new millennium: two enduring principles." Available n-line: http://www.wku.edu/teaching/booklets/schol3.pdf