Brian Burton, Ed.D., Assistant Professor of Information Technology
Office: 230 Mabee Business Building
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis. University of Missouri-Columbia, Missouri. Dissertation topic: Collaboration and the use of three dimensional interface within a virtual learning environment and the impact on communication and learning: a case study. Advisor: Dr. Barbara Martin. July 2001 to May 2008
- Completed 22 graduate hours in Computer Information Systems. Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri. August 2000 to August 2007
- Master of Science in Secondary Administration, Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri. Completed seminar research on Differences in Utilization of Technology between Large, Medium and Small Schools in Missouri. June 1997 to May 1999
- Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education, Certification in Business Administration and Computer Information Systems; Graduated Cum Laude with a double major in Secondary Education and Business Administration and a minor in Computer Science; Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas. May 1990 to May 1992
- Assistant Professor of Information Technology, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas; Teaching courses in Human-Computer Interface, Networking, Network Security, Programming, Introduction to Digital Entertainment, Intermediate Digital Entertainment, Massive Multiplayer Online Game Development and iPhone/iPod Touch Programming. Developed new minors in Digital Entertainment Technology in the fields of Game Development, Game Engineering, and Digital Media Production. Sponsor of Digital Entertainment and Educational Developers student organization. Mobile Learning Fellow researching collaboration using iPhone/iPod Touch devices. August 2007 to present.
- Department Chair/Assistant Professor of Computer Information Systems/Computer Graphics & Programming/Computer Science/Distance Learning Coordinator, Missouri State University - West Plains, Missouri; Teaching courses in Introduction to Storyboarding for Movies and Games, Graphics Programming I, Graphics Programming II, Introduction to Programming, Windows Programming, Advanced Visual Basic, Java, Flash, Computer Operating System, Network and Data Communications, and Server Operations, and Security and Maintenance. Created and supervised new degree program in Computer Graphics & Programming department. Provided faculty development and training in distance learning. Developed and maintained a completion program for students to continue their Bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems at the MSU-West Plains campus. December 2003 to August 2007
- Web Coordinator for College of Education, Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri; Collaborate in the design, development and construction of the Professional Education website. Assisted in the organization of accreditation documents and responsible for the development of electronic files in accordance with NCATE Unit Standards, DESE standards and institutional guidelines. Responsibilities also include teaching Technology for Teachers courses at the Springfield and West Plains campus. November 2001 to November 2003.
- Lecturer for Computer Information System, Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri; Teaching courses in computer literacy, spreadsheets, Introduction to Programming, Windows Programming, Advanced Visual Basic, Introduction to COBOL, Computer Operating System, Network and Data Communications, and Information Systems Capstone courses. August 1999 to May 2002.
- Director of Technology, Republic R-III School District, Republic, Missouri. Supervise, direct, coordinate and maintain computer infrastructure for Republic Schools. Duties include supervising employees, training students, planning for future technology trends, maintaining network, servers, and computer systems. Train Faculty and Staff in the use of computers. Assist the Superintendent in planning for future needs. Assist in writing and facilitating grants. June 1998 to August 1999.
- User Support Specialist, Computer Services, Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri; Supervise and maintain an open campus computer lab. Duties include upgrading and maintaining computer systems, training and supervising lab assistants, maintaining and training on assistive technology, and assisting students, faculty, and staff in using computer systems. August 1997 to May 1998.
- Computer Coordinator and teacher of Computer Literacy, Computer Applications, and Advanced Placement Computer Programming, Lake Country Christian School, Ft. Worth, Texas; Designed and implemented a K-12 computer literacy program, teaching students, teachers, administrators and the community in all aspects of using computers. Developed and implemented internet presence for the school system. July 1993 to June 1994, July 1995 to May 1997.
- Computer Coordinator and sixth grade teacher, Anderson Christian School, Anderson, Indiana; Designed and implemented 3rd through 6th grade computer literacy program. June 1994 to June 1995.
- Installation and Maintenance Group Leader, University Computing Services, Ball State University; Oversaw the operations of the Computer Installation and Maintenance areas. Duties included the supervising of a 30 member team in the installation and maintenance of over 14,000 microcomputers and related equipment; Maintain programs necessary for day to day operations; Developed ongoing training for staff and students; Assist with the maintenance of the wide area network; Muncie, Indiana. January 1987 to April 1990.
- Over 25 years programming experience in various languages including: ASP, Basic, Visual Basic, C#, COBOL, Flash Actionscript, FORTRAN, HTML, Java, Pascal and Objective-C. Over 25 years experience in the use of various word processors, spreadsheets and database management software.
Professional organization memberships:
- Digital Games Research Association, 2008-present.
- Association of Computing Machinery - SIGGRAPH, 2005-present.
- International Game Developers Association, 2005-present.
- New Media Consortium, 2007-present.
- United States Distance Learning Association, 2004-2007.
- International Society for Technology in Education, 2004-2007.
- Missouri Distance Learning Association, board member, 2003-2007.
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1997-2004.
- Adaptation, Resistance and Access to Instructional Technologies: Assessing Future Trends in Education, Editorial Advisory Board, 2009.
- Franklin Publishing, Advisory Director's Board, 2008 to present.
- First International Conference on Networked Digital Technologies (IEEE co-sponsor), Reviewer, 2009.
- FuturePlay08, Program Committee, 2008.
- Journal of Educational Computing Research, Manuscript Review Board, 2009 to present.
- Journal of Virtual World Research, Reviewer, 2009 to present.
Achievement and awards:
- Mobile Technology Fellow, Abilene Christian University, 2008-2009.
- Honors College Research Grant, Abilene Christian University, 2009.
- Presidential Research Grant, Abilene Christian University, 2008.
- Cisco CCNA Instructor certified.
- Missouri Teacher Certificate in Secondary Administration.
- Texas Teacher Certificate in Business Administration and Computer Information Systems.
- Graduated Cum Laude from Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas.
- Member of Alpha Chi Honorary Fraternity.
- Member of Kappa Delta Pi Honorary Fraternity
- College of Business Student Life Committee, ACU, 2009 to present
- Admissions Advising Committee, ACU, 2008 to present
- Faculty Admissions Committee, ACU, 2008 to present
- Burton, B.G. (2009) "The use of three dimensional interface within a virtual learning environment and the impact on student collaboration and knowledge creation." Presented for Faculty Enrichment, ACU.
- Burton, B.G. (2008) "The call for Christian leadership in digital entertainment." Presented at Summit, ACU.
- Burton, B.G., Childers. J., Dickson, K. (2008) "Talking Pictures - How to Podcast." Presented for Faculty Enrichment, ACU.
- Burton, B.G. (2008) "Digital entertainment: getting ready for the future." Presented at Abilene High School.
- Burton, B.G. (2007) "Panelist on discussion of podcast delivery of course content." Abilene Christian University.
- Burton, B., Huff, J. (2007) "Computer graphics & programming, it's all about the game." Presented to Waynesville Technical Academy. Waynesville, MO.
- Burton, B., Huff, J. (2007) "Computer graphics & programming degree, where we are going." Presented to Friends of the Garnett Library. West Plains, MO.
Representative research publications/presentations:
- Burton, B.G. (in development) "Creating Virtual Learning Environments." Book
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N. (invited journal article) "Learning in 3D virtual environments: Collaboration and knowledge spirals."
- Burton, B.G., Mhlanga, F.S. (submitted for publication) "Experiences and direction in teaching an undergraduate course in mobile computing."
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N. (submitted for presentation) "Collaboration within 3D virtual environments: The impact upon student success."
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N. (submitted of presentation) "Using mobile technology for collaboration."
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N., Thomas, D. (in press) "Collaboration and the use of three dimensional interface within a virtual learning environment," In D’Agustino. S. (Ed.), Adaptation, resistance and access to instructional technologies: Assessing future trends in education. Hersey, PA: IGI Global.
- Burton, B.G., (2009) "Collaboration within three dimensional virtual learning environments: The Impact on student success." VDM Verlag Publishing. ISBN 978-3639173550.
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N., Thomas, D. (2009) "Collaboration and the use of three dimensional interface within a virtual learning environment." Presented at American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA.
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N. (2009) "Using mobile technology for collaboration." Presented at ConnectEd, Abilene, TX
- Burton, B.G., Martin, B.N. (2008) "The Use of Three Dimensional Interface within a Virtual Learning Environment and the impact on Student Collaboration and Knowledge Creation." Presented at ReLIVE 08, Milton Keynes, England.
- Burton, B.G. (2008). "Collaboration and the use of three dimensional interface within a virtual learning environment and the impact on communication and learning: a case study." Doctoral dissertation, University of Missouri - Columbia.
- Burton, B.G. (2007) "Invited panel discussion on the educational uses of immersive environments at FuturePlay." Toronto, Canada.
- Burton, B.G., Huff, J. (2007) "Development of a gaming degree." Presented at Illinois Online Conference.
- Burton, B.G., Chin, J. (2007) "Inclusion of game concepts in introductory programming courses." Presented at Illinois Online Conference.
- Burton, B.G., Chin, J., and Chin, M., (2007) "Classical epistemology in CIS: A model for teaching programming logic through marketing." Global Education Journal, Vol. 2007, Issue 1, pp 24-49.
- Chin, J., Burton, B.G., Chin, M. (2006) "Logic concepts in CIS: a marketing example." Presented at Illinois Online Conference.