NEH Summer Stipends Application Process
The National Endowment for the Humanities offers summer stipends for "two consecutive and uninterrupted months of full-time independent study and research." Faculty members teaching full-time at colleges or universities must be nominated by their institutions to apply for a Summer Stipend. Once faculty members are nominated by their institutions, they may submit their applications via Grants.gov. Each college and university in the United States and its jurisdictions may nominate two faculty members. Any faculty member is eligible for nomination.
Any tenured or tenure-track faculty member in the humanities or any tenured or tenure-track faculty member who proposes a project in the humanities may apply.
Application Procedures and Standards for Proposals
- Applicants should prepare a detailed description of the proposed study, not to exceed six double-spaced pages, as well as a one-page bibliography for the project, following NEH guidelines. The initial proposal should be submitted to ORSP (email@example.com) by the end of the first working day following August 14.
- Upon the recommendations of the Research Council, the director of the ORSP nominates up to two faculty members for the NEH stipend. The director of the ORPS informs the nominees. In most cases, the nominees are selected and informed by August 30.
- Nominees then prepare a final electronic application for the NEH on the NEH website, which includes the already completed description of the proposed study and bibliography along with the NEH cover sheet, and a resume (cover sheet is available at www.neh.gov). The electronic application asks you to designate the University's nominating official. At ACU that person is the Vice Provost.
- A hard copy of the completed proposal, along with the materials listed in #3 and with the submission approval form must be submitted to ORSP by the end of the second week of September.
- ORSP will submit the proposal via grants.gov. The nominating official will be notified by NEH and complete the nomination by the deadline.