An Annotated Bibliography
- Burgess, Heidi and Guy M. Encyclopedia of Conflict Resolution . Santa Barbara, California: ABC-Clio, 1997. [REF DESK 303.6903 B955e]
Information about the many dispute resolution options available and the advantages and disadvantages of alternative approaches. Tells of the views of many leading sociologists.
- CQ Researcher (formerly Editorial Research Reports) Weekly. Edited by Marcus Rosenbaum. Washington: Congressional Quarterly. [REF DESK 050 (Current issues Periodical Office)] CQ Researcher
Valuable for issues of current interest such as foster care reform, drinking on campus, biology and behavior, encouraging teen abstinence, journalism under fire, etc. Also provides extensive bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of Educational Research. 6th ed. Edited by Marvin C. Alkin. New York: Macmillan, 1992. [REF DESK R 370.3 E56 1992]
Signed articles on topics such as attitudes toward students with disabilities, changing nature of work, counseling, inquiry paradigms, etc. Includes bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of Ethics. Edited by Lawrence C. and Charlotte B. Becker. New York; Garland, 1992. [REF DESK 170.3 E56 Vol. 12]
Contains signed articles on ethical theory, moral problems, and political, social, and legal theory. has bibliographies, cross references and see-also references, as well as an analytical index of articles, and an index of authors.
- Encyclopedia of Mental Health. Edited by Howard S. Friedman. San Diego: Academic Press. [REF DESK 618.89003 E56 Vol. 1-]
Articles on cognitive development, control, couples therapy, criminal behavior, domestic violence, homelessness, and etc. are covered.
- Encyclopedia of Social Work. New York: National Association of Social Workers, 1971-. [REF DESK 360 Social]
Contains signed essays on topics of interest to Sociologists such as family therapy, federal social legislation, female criminal offenders, gang violence, violence overview, and women in social policy.
- Encyclopedia of Sociology. Edited by Edgar and Marie L. Borgatta. New York: Macmillan Publishing, 1992. [REF DESK 301.03 E56 vol. 14]
Provides signed articles on major theories including attribution theory, conflict theory, functionalist theory, and many other aspects of sociology.
- Gallup, Dr. George H. The Gallup Poll. Wilmington, Delaware: SR Scholarly Resource, Inc. [REF DESK 303.38 G175 1995]
The foremost poll of public opinion on many topics such as honesty and ethical standards, white house fundraising, TWA flight 800, the internal revenue service, and etc.
- Herbst, Phillip. The Color of Words, an Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States. Yarmouth, Maine: Intercultural Press Inc., 1997. [REF DESK 305.8 H538c]
This book is a guide to understanding ethnic usage. The author states "an understanding of the ethnic words discussed in this dictionary can serve to expose the inequality and other stresses in relations between groups and to open lines of communication."
- International Encyclopedia of Sexuality. Edited by Robert T. Francoeur. New York: Continuum, 1997. [REF DESK 306.703 I61]
This 3 volume set provides information on trends in sexual attitudes and behavior in 32 countries including China, Japan, Australia, Canada, Russia, and the United States. Covers religious and ethnic factors, gender roles, adolescent sex, pornography. Good for comparison studies. Includes Bibliographies and Indexes.
- International Handbook of Contemporary Developments in Sociology. Edited by Raj P. Mohan & Arthur S. Wilke. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1994. [REF DESK 301.09 I61]
Covers the development of sociology in Austria, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Netherlands, and Switzerland. Provides signed articles on sociology in the Western Hemisphere, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and the East. Includes Bibliographies and Indexes.
- Mitchell, Susan. American Generations. Who They Are. How They Live. What They Think. Ithaca, New York: New Strategist Publications, Inc., 1998. [REF DESK 304.60973 M682a 1998]
Some of the aspects of American generations covered are naming and defining the generations, their attitudes and behavior, education, health, households, housing, income, labor force, population demographics, spending, wealth. Provides a glossary, bibliography, and an index.
- Social Psychology, Handbook of Basic Principles. Edited by E. Tory Higgins and Arie W. Kruglanski. New York: The Guilford Press, 1996. [REF DESK 302 H636]
Many signed articles arranged in sections titled biological system, cognitive system, cognitive system, personal motivational system, interpersonal system, and group and cultural system. These scholarly articles range from evolutionary psychology of human social strategies to conflict within groups.
Children and Youth
- Johnson, Orval G. Test and Measurements in Child Development. San Francisco: JosseyBass Publishers, 1976. [REF DESK 155.41 Vol. 12]
Helps researchers, evaluators, and clinicians keep up-to-date on recent developments in unpublished measures of child behavior.
- Montelone, James and Armand E. Brodeur. Child Maltreatment, a Clinical Guide and Reference. St. Louis: G.W. Medical Publishing, Inc., 1994. [REF DESK 362.76 C536.76 V1-2]
A definitive two volume set that provides illustrations and diagrams as well as text to help practitioners identify the abused child.
- Statistical Handbook on Adolescents. Edited by Bruce A. Chadwick and Tim B. Heaton. Phoenix: Oryx Press, 1996. [REF DESK 305.235 S797]
Contains information valuable to any study of the adolescent, including family context, sexual behavior, economics, health, education, quality of life, recreation, deviance, and parent-child relationships.
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics. [J 29.9/6:yr, Documents Reference Shelf Latest 1997] Online Version - http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/ Online version continually updated
- Uniform Crime Report [J 1.14/7:yr Documents Reference 1997] (Also called Crime in the United States.) [Doc Ref J1.14/7] Online Version - http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS3082 Online includes Preliminary statistics for 1998.
Marriage and the Family
- Burr, Wesley R. Contemporary Theories About the Family: Research Based Theories. New York: Free Press, 1979 Vol. 12 [301.42 Contemporary]
These volumes attempt to collect evaluation of theories about family phenomena. Each area includes competing theories and empirical evidence arranged by 24 topics under four broad headings Introduction, Family and Change, Family Interaction and Family and Problems.
- DiCanio, Margaret. The Encyclopedia of Marriage, Divorce and the Family. New York: Facts on File, 1989. [HQ9.D38 1989 at HSU and 306.8 DIC at APL]
- Encyclopedia of Marriage and the Family. Edited by David Levinson. London: Simon & Schuster and Prentice Hall International, 1995. [REF DESK 306.803 E56 Vol. 1-2]
Provides material for research papers and a directory to recent literature on major topics about marriage and family. Articles on adolescence, celibacy, child abuse and neglect, children's rights, elder abuse, gangs, juvenile delinquency, etc. are included.
- Statistical Handbook on the American Family. Edited by Bruce A. Chadwick and Tim B. Heaton. Phoenix: Oryx Press, 1992. [REF DESK 306.85 S797]
Comprehensive coverage of statistics on the American family, including marital and family conflict, divorce, family violence, elderly families. Includes a list of sources and an index.
- Cashmore, Ellis. Dictionary of Race and Ethnic Relations. 3rd edition. New York: Routledge [REF DESK 305.8 C338d 1994]
Even though it's labeled a dictionary, it actually provides much more than definitions, includes signed essays on all its topics.
- Encyclopedia of the Peoples of the World. Edited by Amiram Gonen. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1993. [REF DESK 305.8 E56 1994]
Comprehensive listing of current peoples and ethnic groups, includes illustrations, and many photographs.
- Handbook of American Women's History. Edited by Angela Howard Zophy. New York: Garland, 1990. [HQ1410 H36 1990 at HSU]
- Hispanic Almanac. 2nd ed. New York: Hispanic Policy Development Project, 1990. [312.9 HIS at APL]
- Racial and Ethnic Relations in America. Edited by Carl Bankston lll, et al. Pasadena, Calif.:Salem Press, 2000. [REF DESK 305.8 R121b]
A 3 volume set that covers such topics as adolescent ethnic identity, affirmative action, American Nazi Party, Asian American culture and experiences, ethnic entrepreneurship, includes Bibliographies and Indexes.
- Reference Library of Black America. Edited by Kenneth Estell. Detroit: Gale Research, Inc., 1994. [REF DESK 305.896 R327 v1-4]
Contains twenty-seven subject chapters, with essays on historical developments or contributions of African Americans to the subject area, with biographical information on individuals such as Booker T. Washington.
- Statistical Record of Hispanic Americans. Edited by Marlita A. Reddy. New York: Gale Research, 1995. [REF DESK 305.868 S797 1995]
Comprehensive collection of statistical information including the family, education, culture, health, social and economic conditions, business and industry, government, law and law enforcement.
- Women in the Third World, an Encyclopedia of Contemporary Issues. Edited by Nelly P. Stromquist. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1998. [Ref Desk 305.4091724]
Signed and peer-reviewed articles from scholars, well-known activists, and new writers in feminist literature about a great number of issues affecting women in Third World countries.
- The American Journal of Sociology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 1930-. [R 305]
- American Sociological Review. Albany, New York: American Sociological Review. 1965-. [R 305 American]
- Social Work . Silver Spring, Md.: National Association of Social Workers. 1956-. [R 360.5]
- Social Work Research . Washington, DC: National Association of Social Workers. 1994-. [361.3005 S678]
Selected Web Sites
- Yahoo! Social Science - http://dir.yahoo.com/social_science
Commercial, but some useful web sites.
- The SocioLog - http://www.Sociolog.com
A collection of links created by the sociology department of Princeton.
- Survey Research Center - http://www.princeton.edu/psrc
Princeton University list of web sites dealing with survey research.