How Do I Find Articles?
There is not one single place to look for all possible articles on a subject. Searching only one database might find what you need, but we suggest you search more than one. EBSCO's Web databases allows you to search more than one database at a time. For a list of all databases with descriptions go to the All Databases page.
- Select a database to search from below or choose a database from the Resources by Department page. In general, Academic Search Complete is a good place to start.
- Enter subject, keyword(s), author, or title of the topic you are searching plus any limits (date, full-text). If you are having trouble finding anything, think of different words for your topic that mean the same thing. For example, instead of searching for raising children, search for child rearing.
- If the article is full-text (actual article appears on the screen), you can print it out or e-mail it to yourself.
- If the article is not full-text, see if ACU or another Abilene library has the journal/periodical/magazine by looking in ALCON. You can also search Journal Finder by journal title to see if it is full-text in another database or directly from the publisher.
- Make sure to write down or print out the citation information--author, title, journal, date, volume, page--in order to find the article. If none of the Abilene libraries has the publication it can be ordered through ILL .
- If you still need help, ask or call a librarian at the research desk in the Learning Commons (674-2941), send a question through the Ask a Librarian form, or send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find articles, you can search the databases and services provided by the ACU Library listed below.
EBSCOhost Web (Click for access to these databases)
Academic Search Complete, ATLAS Full Text Plus, Business Source Premier, CINAHL, CINAHL with Full Text, Clinical Pharmacology, Communication & Mass Media Complete, Family & Society Studies Worldwide, MasterFILE Premier, MEDLINE, Middle Search Plus, Military & Government Collection, MLA, Pre-CINAHL, PsycARTICLES, PsycINFO, Regional Business News, RILM Abstracts of Music Literature, World History Collection
Electronic Journals [TDNet] (Click for a listing of these journals alphabetically)
Gale Group InfoTrac & Galenet (Click for access to these databases)
Contemporary Authors, Contemporary Literary Criticism, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Health Reference Center Academic, Health & Wellness Resource Center, InfoTrac Newspapers, Literature Resource Center, Student Resource Center Gold
JSTOR (Searchable article backfiles from Arts, Humanities, Business, Religion, Education and Sciences)
LEIAN FirstSearch (Click for access to these databases)
ArticleFirst, Clase Periodicals, EBooks, ECO, ERIC, GPO, MEDLINE, PapersFirst, Proceedings, WorldAlmanac, WorldCat, WorldCatDissertations.
Lexis-Nexis (Click for access to these databases)
News, Business, Legal Research, Medical, Government Periodicals Universe
CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online), eLibrary, Accounting Literature Database, Finance Literature Database, Genealogy and Local History, Homeland Security Digital Database, Thesaurus Linguae Graecae
Proquest (Click for access to these databases)
Civil War Era Database, Digital Dissertations, Historic New York Times
Business, Education, Engineering, Chemistry, Life Science, Humanities and Social Science, Information Science and Computing, Law, Criminology, Mathematics, Statistics, Medical Science, Veterinary Science, Health Science, Physics, Astronomy, Polymers and Material Science, Psychology
Search state, regional and national full-text articles including printed and online newspapers, blogs, journals, newswires, broadcast transcripts and videos. Explore a specific issue or event or compare a wide variety of viewpoints on topics such as business, health, education, government, history, journalism, politics and more including the Abilene Reporter-News, Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle and USA Today.