THE FEDERAL RESERVE
Abilene Christian University
- Federal Reserve System
- Central site of the 12 banks plus the Board of Governers comprising the Federal Reserve System. Can search each site individually or filter by program responsibility.
- Board of Governers of the Federal Reserve System
- Main site of The Fed. Includes overview, mission, history, activities, news, etc.
Structure and Purpose
- Fed 101
- Interactive overview of history, structure, and functions of the Federal Reserve System.
- The Federal Reserve System: Purposes and Function
- How the Fed works and what it does. Thorough treatment of structure, monetary policy, policy tools, international influence, supervisory functions, and bank services.
- In Plain English: Making Sense of the Federal Reserve
- Informal, interactive summary.
- Structure of the Federal Reserve System
- Good overview of the elements of the system and what they do. Links to annual reports and meeting minutes of FOMC.
- Federal Open Market Committee
- Excellent summary of what the FOMC is and how it controls monetary policy.
- A Day in the Life of the FOMC
- "an insider's perspective on the inner workings of the Federal Reserve's monetary policymaking body"
- Monetary Policy of the Federal Reserve Board
- The who, what, and how of The Fed's money policies. Includes details on the three primary tools The Fed uses to influence the economy.
- Beige Book
- Reports by federal reserve banks on economic conditions in their district. Used by FOMC to track the economy and to make policy decisions. Beige Book is publishsed 8 times/year.
- Annual Report to Congress
- Discusses all operations of the Board; collects minutes of meetings; financial statements; actions takes and services provided.
- Monetary Policy Report to Congress
- Semiannual report summarizing the actions the Board took with respect to monetary policy. Describes what they were trying to achieve and why, and how they went about it.
- Minutes of the FOMC
- First place news of FOMC economic decisions is released. Gives a "sneak preview" of economic direction.
- Federal Reserve Bulletin
- Monthly journal of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors; articles on the economy and regulatory actions; searchable via Government Periodicals Index.
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Ethical conduct prescribed by law is contained in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR):
5 CFR 6801 Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct
5 CFR 2635 Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch
Contents updated: Sept. 9, 2003