ChristmasAbilene Christian University
Nativity scene photographed by Theodor Horydczak
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division,
Theodor Horydczak Collection, [reproduction no. LC-H8-CT-C04-001 DLC] credit info| Large image
Christmas tree at U.S. consulate in Hamburg, Germany
History and Background
- An American Christmas Decade by Decade
- See how Christmas trees and their decorations have changed by viewing pictures of trees each decade from 1840 to 2000.
- Apollo 8 Christmas Eve Broadcast
- The first manned mission to the moon was in orbit on December 24, 1968. What thoughts did the sight of the planet evoke in these men? What text did they choose to read aloud in their message back to the Earth? Read here for the answer.
- Celebrate! Holidays in the U.S.A. -- Christmas Day
- An introductory survey of the historical and social background of American holiday traditions. Good general overview of U.S. traditions.
- Legends of Christmas
- You know about trees and candy canes, but what about the Christmas pickle and the holiday spider? And what does "a partridge in a pear tree" mean? Read about familiar and not-so-familiar traditions here.
- Today in History: December 25
- Photos, diary entries, and remembrances from Christmas present and past from the American Memory Project.
- Christmas Around the World
- Christmas trees, holiday food, and traditions from 20 countries visited by U.S. President Herbert Hoover during his lifetime.
- Christmas at the White House
- Photos and text of how various presidents and first ladies have decorated the White House during Christmas.
- The White House Tree
- Since 1889, the White House has placed a decorated tree in the building in honor of the Christmas season. See how various trees have looked over the years, watch the president light the national Christmas tree, and enjoy other photo essays.
Songs and StoriesSanta Claus hides in your phonograph
Cute story from the 1920s celebrating the art of recorded sound in a Christmas tale.
U.S. Air Force Holiday Music
Traditional choral and instrumental music
- World Music - Vintage Recordings
Santa Claus hides in your phonograph Greek Santa Claus hides in your phonograph Spanish, recorded 1939 Santa Claus hides in your phonograph Hungarian, recorded 1939 Si me dan pasteles an aguinaldo [If you give me pasteles ...] Spanish, recorded 1939 Pastorak orven deznek [The Shepherds are rejoicing] Hungarian, recorded 1939 Santa Claus hides in your phonograph Slavik, 1939
Novelty SongsI Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas | lyrics| listen|
original recording by 10-year old Gayla Peevey
The Restroom Door Said, "Gentlemen" || |
Just for Fun
- Interplanetary Christmas: An Exclusive Interview with Santa Claus
How will Santa expand his rounds to outer space? Read the this interview with St. Nick to find out, and also to learn something about the solar system, too.
Take the Survey
Help us make your library experience better.