B.A. in English for Teacher Certification
The Bachelor of Arts in English for teacher certification prepares students to teach English at the high school level, by combining the strength of an English degree with the strength of teacher preparation found in ACU's Department of Teacher Education. This degree can also lay the foundation for students to pursue graduate studies in English or in education, with the aim of teaching English at the college level.
Like other English majors, those interested in this degree are advised by the Department of Language and Literature. For more information about this degree, see the ACU catalog.
General Education Requirements
General education requirements (University Core and Degree Core requirements) for the BA are listed in the ACU Catalog. Note these variations:
- Variations in the University Core: Students seeking a Bachelor of Arts in English for teacher certification must fulfill their history requirement by taking HIST 221 (American History I). They may fulfill their sophomore literature requirement by taking either ENGL 221 (British Literature I) or ENGL 231 (World Literature I).
- Variations in the BA Degree Core: Students seeking a Bachelor of Arts in English for teacher certification must take POLS 226 and SOCI 342. They must complete their history requirement by taking HIST 222 (American History II). They must also complete the literature sequence begun in the University Core: ENGL 222 (British Literature II) for those who have completed ENGL 221; ENGL 232 (World Literature II) for those who have completed ENGL 231.
Departmental Requirements, BA with Certification
In addition to 12 hours of freshman and sophomore English listed in the University and Degree Core Requirements, an English major seeking teacher certification must take 30 hours of upper-division English and 12 hours in an approved supporting field. This work must be distributed as follows:
- Required English, 12 hours: ENGL 311, 325, 459, 483;
- English language, 3 hours chosen from ENGL 330, 331, 432;
- American literature, 6 hours chosen from ENGL 362, 363, 464;
- General literature 3 hours chosen from ENGL 376, 377, 378, 470, 471, 499;
- British literature after 1700, 3 hours chosen from ENGL 495, 496, 497;
- Advanced English selection, 3 hours chosen from ENGL 322, 323, 324, 351, 481, 484 or any additional upper-division literature course from those listed above;
- Supporting field, 12 hours chosen from one of the following fields (core hours and elective hours may apply): foreign language, history, journalism, theatre.
Teacher Certification Requirements
To be certified to teach, students must complete the following additional courses and requirements:
- Technology, 2-3 hours: TECH 205 or appropriate test score; TECH 210;
- Reading, 3 hours: READ 322;
- Professional education, 18 hours: EDUC 311, 321, 412, 432, and 499;
- Special Education, 1 hour: SPED 478;
- Passing scores on all three sections of the TASP;
- Admission to the teacher certification program (prerequisite to EDUC courses);
- Passing scores on all appropriate sections of the ExCET;
- Minimum GPA of 2.00 in 12 hours of freshman and sophomore English;
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
General Electives, BA with Certification
To obtain a total of 128 credit hours, students majoring in English for Teacher Certification must take 9 hours of electives (6 hours of required Bible may be counted as humanities electives). Electives may include deficiency requirements in science and foreign language, or they may be used for the supporting field. Students should arrange their electives to ensure 33 semester hours of upper-division work.