Dr. Debbie Williams
Areas of scholarship or expertise:
Courses typically taught:
- Bibliographer. Bibliography of Composition and Rhetoric. Conference on College Composition and Composition. 1996, 1997 eds.
- De-Frocking the President as Priest: The Role of Christian Language in the Presidency of George W. Bush. Yone Sugita, editor. Monograph series in progress. Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- "Effective Peer Evaluation in Learning Teams" with Drs. Doug Foster, Bo Green, Paul Lakey, Raye Lakey, Foy Mills, and Carol Williams. To Improve the Academy. Vol. 22 (2004).
- "Frederick Beuchner." Shadow and Light Teacher's Handbook. Eds. Darryl Tippens and Steve Weathers. Abilene, TX: ACU Press, 1998.
- "Issues of Access." Interchapter response in "Computers and Writing Community Voices." In Computers and Writing: The Cyborg Era. By James Inman. Laurence Erlbaum, Associates, Publisher. 2003.
- Student Development Theory: A Framework for Informing Choices of Pedagogies. E-Source for College Transitions. http://www.sc.edu/fye/esource/index.html. August 2004.
- “Teaching with Technology or the Technology of Teaching: Reconstructing Authority in the Classroom.” ACE Journal (1 Spring-Summer) 1997: 41-49.
Originally from: Texas
Work of literature, art or music you would recommend: Works of social activist Paulo Freire, Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich, and Tom Stoppard
Person who influenced your life: Drs. Bill Walton and Clyde Austin; Drs. James Berlin and Janice Lauer
Why you do what you do: I love the experience of learning and sharing knowledge: I find few things more exhilarating.
What you want to give your students: I expect to be a godly model of critical thinking, discipline, humility, and empathy.
What you expect from your students: I expect students to engage in thorough, thoughtful communication while performing their scholarship in a godly, good-faith effort, just as I expect to do for them.
Why you are at ACU: I teach at ACU because I wanted to take advantage of the opportunities offered by Christian education to overtly frame my vocation in Christian world view.
Favorite anecdote: Teaching barefoot because I forgot to wear my shoes.
- environmental issues
- advocacy issues (healthcare)
- my children’s extracurricular activities
- spouse: Rocky
- children: Lacey, Jillian, and Ian
- a host of pets, including all-time favorites Breca the dog and Gorgias the fish