How to Graduate with Honors (an overview)
This page provides an overview of the Honors College academic requirements. For more details, please see Requirements & Tracks.
Graduating with Honors requires a 3.5 GPA and completion of requirements in one of these tracks:
University Honors (30 semester hours)
18 hours of Lower-Division credits which fit into your General Education requirements (University Core or Degree Core). These may include:
* Honors Core courses (Honors Humanities, Honors Seminar in Social Sciences)
* Honors sections of regular courses (Bible, chemistry, film, psychology, etc.)
* Honors Team Contract in a regular course where no honors section is available
* Honors College Service-Learning (volunteer work, assigned readings, and online
* Study abroad (some travel grants available)
* Philosophy courses taken outside your major or minor
12 hours of Upper-Division University Honors requirements, including:
* 3 hours of Honors Colloquia
* 6 hours of honors contract work in junior or senior courses in your major
* and a 3-hour Capstone Project (an independent research project in your major,
guided by a supervisory committee)
General Honors (21 semester hours)
The requirements are the 18 hours of Lower-Division work plus 3 hours of colloquia. It's equivalent to University Honors except that it omits the contracts and Capstone in the major.
Departmental Honors (12 semester hours)
The requirements are the same as the Upper-Division requirements for University Honors. The same recommendations apply to each major. This is the most attractive option for transfers from two-year schools who want to distinguish themselves in the major but also take interdisciplinary courses with other bright people.
Our Honors Advisors can help you fit each of these requirements into any degree plan!
Study America - Boston
ACU's mission is to educate students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world.
Satisfy your curiosity about what it means to live and learn at ACU!
Apply to ACU
Read Our Blog
Stay connected to the latest discussions, happenings and updates in the Honors College.