Admission Requirements for the Initial Certification track:
Candidates will begin the process by submitting a Statement of Intent in the EDUC 211 semester and will formally apply to the Fifth-Year Master's in Teaching and Learning Degree Sequence during the fall semester, one year prior to matriculation. Applications will be due on the second to last Friday in November with notification of acceptance prior to the spring semester.
Candidates will then apply to the graduate school in the fall semester of their senior year to begin taking graduate level courses the following spring, while completing their undergraduate coursework for May graduation.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree that includes teacher certification.
- A completed application to the Fifth-Year Master’s in Teaching and Learning Degree Sequence with a statement of purpose and philosophy (maximum of 2 pages with 12 pt. font, double-spaced) addressing one’s motivation for pursuing the degree and describing one’s current philosophy of education. You may submit your application and statement to Dr. Dana Kennamer Pemberton, chair of the Department of Teacher Education, ACU Box 29008;
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at ACU;
- A minimum content GPA of 3.0 at ACU;
- No grade lower than a B in any undergraduate Professional Education courses (EDUC, READ, EACH, SPED);
- Dispositions Reviews Candidates must have no score below 3 on the Dispositions Review completed by three ACU faculty members (two from the Department of Teacher Education and one from the content area department for middle school, high school and all-levels applicants except special education or three from the Department of Teacher Education for all other applicants). Submit in a sealed envelope to Dr. Dana Kennamer Pemberton, chair of the Department of Teacher Education, ACU Box 29008.
Note: An interview process may be required for competitive applicants who do not fully meet the above criteria. Once accepted, these qualifications must be maintained to remain in the program.
- Complete an application to the ACU Office of Graduate Programs in the fall prior to the spring semester you are applying to begin;
- $50 application fee; and
- An official transcript(s) in English (or translated to English) of all previous college work (official means an original with the seal that comes directly from the issuing institution to ACU). The transcript must indicate a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Admissions are made on the assumption that applicants will have the bachelor's degree by the time of matriculation, and if not, the graduate school admission is void.
For information on pricing and billing of this degree, click here.