Kevan Kirksey ('09) | College of Business Administration
from Tyler, Texas
Senior accounting major Kevan Kirksey had the perfect summer internship. "Not only was it a great internship, but I got a great job out of it," he said, referring to the full-time position he was offered after his 11-week stint with Henry & Peters P.C., the largest public accounting firm in his hometown of Tyler. Kevan will begin work as an auditor with the firm after he graduates in May.
Kevan was on his second day as an intern when he was asked to join a team doing a financial audit for a local hospital. "I hadn't even settled in my office, and I was out in the field already," he said.
Being able to sit in the class and listen to a professor not just teach you the material but actually put it into context, saying, 'Hey, this happened to me in my career' - that means a lot to me as a student.
He went on to assist with five more audits throughout the summer, ranging from a financial audit for an oil and gas company in nearby Longview to counting shoeboxes in a warehouse distribution center in Tyler.
"Out of my 11 weeks there, I spent about 2½ weeks at my desk there at the office," he said. "I loved it. I really felt like I got to contribute."
Kevan's internship brought to life the education he received in ACU's College of Business Administration. "I knew the basics through my COBA classes, but putting it into practice is completely different," he said. "I don't think that's anything any class can prepare you for. You've just got to be thrown out there and do it."
Being taught by professors with real-world experience has been a great asset, Kevan said. "Being able to sit in the class and listen to a professor not just teach you the material but actually put it into context, saying, 'Hey, this happened to me in my career' - that means a lot to me as a student. They didn't just learn this from a book. They actually know how it works out there. They actually know how it's going to work for me when I graduate."
Sign Up for Email News:
* Business News
* Leadership Summit
* Speaker Series
- Dr. Laura Phillips College of Business Administration
- Leah Jones Knippel ('99) Freedom Stones founded by ACU grads to fight human trafficking
- E.J. Johnson ('11) Marketing
- Amy Morris ('14) Accounting & Finance
- Brandon Bartee ('06) Financial Management
- Kara Jenkins ('10) Master of Accountancy
- Chris Norton ('10) Business Management
- ACU grads fight human trafficking abroad
- Tyler Sutphen ('12) Business Marketing
- Stephen Powell ('10) Jason Boone ('10)
- Chad Hutchins ('08) Computer Science
- Breanna Anderson ('11) Business Marketing
- Jenni Burks ('11) Accounting & Finance
- Kyle McVey ('09) Master of Accountancy
- Katie Alford ('99) Business Finance
- Chelsea Johnson ('10) Master of Accountancy
- Caitlin Winegeart ('11) Master of Accountancy
- Allison Connor ('02) Accounting & Finance
- Krissy Heavin ('09) Business Marketing
- Tony Roach ('01) Business Marketing
- Brad Neathery ('11) Business Marketing
- Kevan Kirksey ('09) Accounting
- Aimee Luallin ('09) Business Marketing