Greg Oglesby ('11) | Teacher Education
All-level special education major/
English minor from Abilene, Texas
Greg Oglesby's high school coach planted seeds in his mind that have grown into a life plan involving a special group of kids.
In addition to coaching, Greg's mentor taught special education classes at the high school. Through him, Greg got to interact with those classes a few days each week, serving as an aide his senior year. "I just really got to love the kids from watching what he did," Greg says.
ACU is a college that gives back to its students. The teaching staff offers unlimited amounts of time, effort and attention to their students every day.
When Greg came to ACU, he began his studies as a Bible major but soon switched to special education, primarily because of his coach's influence.
"I changed because I knew that I wanted to do some sort of ministry with kids," Greg says. "I think teaching special education is a job that some people can do and some people can't, but I think it's a lot of fun if you can."
Now a senior at ACU, Greg says he's received a great foundation for teaching special populations through ACU's Teacher Education Department.
"I think one of the most important things is that from the very first semester of education classes, they send you into a classroom and you start observation hours right away," he says. "We do a lot of case studies, and I find those interesting. But the most important thing is getting out in the classroom and working with kids and watching teachers work with kids - just seeing how it’s supposed to be done."
Greg has been able to observe students in local classrooms ranging from elementary age to high school. "I've seen every age so far, so I think I know a little bit about every age group," he says.
The relationships Greg has developed with his professors will carry throughout his life, he says.
"ACU is a college that gives back to its students. The teaching staff offers unlimited amounts of time, effort and attention to their students every day. I can always gauge who my favorite professors are by how well I got to know them and how well they got to know me."
Serving Local Schools
Masters of Education in Teaching and Learning
The Master of Education in Teaching and Learning is a one-year master's program designed for ACU students who will complete a bachelor's degree in Education
- Shannon Wilburn CEO Just Between Friends
- Dr. Marcus Nelson ('94) Teacher Education
- Mobile learning goes to kindergarten
- Casey Lewis Orr ('08) Elementary Education
- Greg Oglesby ('11) Teacher Education
- Adrienne Carpenter ('08) Spanish Education
- Education Students Teach in Beijing
- Caleb Reid ('05) Secondary Education
- Garrett Hines ('06) History/Education/Art
- Amy Perez ('07) Teacher of the Year
- Erin Gray ('08) Graduate Fellow at TSU
- Juane Heflin ('84) Morlan Award Winner
- Justin Schofield ('09) Secondary Education
- Laura Hollifield ('09) Math Education
- Sarah Peters ('12) Special Education
- Lindsey Rogers ('01) Theatre Education
- Ashley Henderson ('10) Elementary Education
- Gustavo Villanueva ('00) Ministry/Education