The state of Pernambuco in northeastern Brazil is home to over 8.2 million people. Recife is the capital and boasts over 5 million people. It is regarded by many as the “Venice of Brazil” because of its many rivers and bridges. There has been a team of church of Christ missionaries in Recife since 1980 who were part of the first Contient of Great Cities team out of Sunset School of Preaching in Lubbock, Texas.
Upon arrival in Recife, those first missionaries began a School of the Bible which offered free nightly Bible courses to anyone interested. From those first baptisms, the church began in 1980 in the Boa Vista area of Recife.
Since that time, the Boa Vista congregation has branched off into 19 smaller churches around the greater Recife area and many more churches have been started in the interior of the state of Pernambuco. Most have been started by Brazilian Christians. However, the work here is only beginning. One could spend three lifetimes here and still not make a dent!
- God will open your eyes and hearts to see just how lost people are without Jesus
- Discover how vastly different and similar Recife is to Western culture and that Western culture is not superior to other cultures
- Find unique ways to serve the people and to show the love of Christ
- Have a vision of how God could use your gifts and fit into His plan in a similar mission setting
- Gain a more realistic view of missionary life (the ups, downs, and struggles)
- Understand a little better the issues missionaries faced, especially how difficult it is to be affluent and work in poverty.
- Understand the struggles that missionaries have in presenting the Word of God and church life in a foreign culture