Why Political Science?
Our Department aims to prepare students for Christian public service and leadership throughout the world. Department of Political Science alumni serve in numerous positions such as in federal and state agencies, district court judges, city managers, political science professors at major universities, legislative assistants in Congress, partners in major law firms, and also in elective office at the local, state, and federal level.
To facilitate this goal, the Department offers:
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and the B.A. with a concentration in International Relations and Comparative Politics
- six distinct areas within the discipline: American Politics, Public Administration, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, and Public Law
- Jack Pope Fellows Program, named for the former Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court, which trains and awards scholarships to outstanding ACU students who intend to pursue careers in public service
- Study Abroad programs in Europe
- Internships at the local, regional, state, and national level of the government spectrum
- opportunities to become involved in the university through special programs, such as Phi Eta Sigma, a freshman honors society sponsored by the Department, International Justice Mission small group chapel, and the Abilene Christian University chapter of Habitat for Humanity
The faculty of the Department utilize their educational background, research, work experience, expertise in the fields of political science, trips abroad, and professional ties to give our students the best training and instruction, which has helped five political science majors be honored as fellows for the Center for the Study of the Presidency in Washington, D.C. Our alumni have been accepted into the finest law and graduate schools in America.
In short, it is the Department's goal to facilitate students' understanding of domestic and international politics and prepare them for informed and active participation in the political arena and public service.