Brass, Woodwind, String Auditions
Music majors and non-music majors should perform approximately 5-10 minutes of music to include:
- A technical excerpt and
- A melodic or lyrical excerpt
Excerpts may be taken from a solo or etude, such as a piece from the UIL contest list, UIL Region etudes or a piece of similar difficulty.
Prospective majors should perform works for timpani, snare, and keyboard percussion. Prospective non-majors should perform 5-10 minutes of music and include at least two of the listed instruments.
Piano majors will be expected to perform in at least two of the following categories:
- Any work of J. S. Bach or D. Scarlatti
- Any sonata movement of Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A composition of the Romantic period (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, etc.)
- An Impressionist or Contemporary composition
Voice majors will be expected to perform in at least two of the following categories:
- A solo from the UIL list
- An art song from the Baroque, Classic, or Romantic era in a foreign language
- A contemporary art song in English
- Aria from an operetta, oratorio or opera in either the original language or a translation
Vocal auditions also consist of scales and sight-reading. An accompanist is provided for all vocal auditions.
Scholarship Awarding Criteria
We recommend that you choose audition material that best represents your abilities. Criteria for awarding scholarships are:
- Demonstrated performance skill and musicianship
- Needs within the department
- Available funds
Get More Info
Interested in music? Complete our online form to receive more information.
Satisfy your curiosity about what it means to live and learn at ACU!
Apply to ACU
Applying to be a Music major? Wanting to join one of ACU's vocal or instrumental ensembles?