Brandon Pope ('06) | Mathematics
Ph.D. student in industrial and systems
engineering at Texas A&M University
Brandon Pope didn't have his future mapped out when he started at ACU, but that didn't keep him from a path that has led to Ph.D. studies in industrial and systems engineering at Texas A&M University.
"I started ACU as a physics major, changed to 'undecided' and started taking a lot of math courses," Brandon recalls. It wasn't until the end of his sophomore year that he found his niche in mathematics. He developed personal relationships with professors in the department, "many of which I still enjoy today," he says.
Finding that niche allowed him to excel in such courses as Dr. Bo Green's linear programming and operations research classes. He graduated from ACU with a bachelor of science in mathematics in 2006.
"An undergraduate degree in mathematics is probably the best preparation anyone could get for graduate studies in industrial engineering or related fields," he says. "Dr. Green's linear programming course was excellent, comparable to Ph.D.-level courses."
Industrial engineering is a branch of engineering dealing with optimizing complex processes or systems. It is concerned with the development, improvement, implementation and evaluation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials and/or processes. "It models real-life problems," Brandon explains.
After Brandon receives his Ph.D., he plans to teach in the field.
His advice to future students: "Try to take your courses seriously as soon as possible. Take a variety of courses - computer science, mathematics, economics, physics, Bible - whatever you are interested in. This will be the best time of your life!"
- Zane Williams ('99) Country Music Artist
- Louis Palacios Jr. ('09) Actuarial Analyst
- Laura Hollifield ('09) Math Education
- Jason Mahler (’03) Math/Actuarial Science
- Dr. Connie Yarema Professor of Mathematics
- Marc Mace ('10) Mathematics
- Dr. Mark Riggs Professor of Mathematics
- Brandon Pope ('06) Mathematics/Engineering
- ACU Connected: Mobile Learning
- Forbes ranks ACU in Top 10% of U.S. colleges
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Abound